Meet Ted

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
As a break from cutting and welding I thought I'd clean some suspension bits up. I've tried molasses and CLR for rust removal but molasses stinks and CLR is quite corrosive so this time I tried Citric acid for the first time and it really :D works

Same stuff they use in bath bombs so is safe and at about £6 for 1kg it will go a long way.

chBAZF2.jpg


The rear shock absorber brackets were pretty grotty after a scrape and a wire brushing

Tdw3sxn.jpg


About half a cup of the powder in a bucket of hot water and it's fizzin'

TzD0nlL.jpg


After a day in the solution and another wire brushing

N1RmFqF.jpg


Another 24 hours and more wire brush action

ltsgpp2.jpg


QhY6NFC.jpg


zHRmLiv.jpg


Suspension arm came up well too

cIWa4WW.jpg


and the rear bumper supports

MDM8DjA.jpg


All primed and painted now and hanging up to dry :)

Happy with that and will be using it a lot over the coming months
 

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The nearside upper door frame and gutter needed work, similar to the offside.
Lots of spot weld drilling later

n1Wwnjp.jpg


QxnbzhA.jpg


zI6diil.jpg


A little bit of rot had crept into the roof so a section was let in

VZbIr9w.jpg


Then the new upper door frame repair section was fabbed up

SVxQwwh.jpg


The area cleaned up and a coat of weld through

iGDMZqy.jpg


Then the new section welded in

Bj2Kmfb.jpg


q4tOw8s.jpg


jXKKGa1.jpg


I've still to make the gutter section and need to dig out the jig I made but it's Sunday tomorrow so no banging and thumping - just a tidy up day

Happy Halloween :)
DbAR3bk.jpg
 

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
New gutter section made up using my patented six inch nail jig :D

w2tB05q.jpg


LaYONQw.jpg


And welded in

Gsdecae.jpg


Then I moved onto making the bumper iron bracket

3T4pjhA.jpg


I'll carry on with that tomorrow.
 

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Rear wing edge repaired, front bumper iron all sorted, petrol tank stripped and painted so I turned my attention to the rear springs.

Pretty much the same as the other side

i9uAYwU.jpg


ZKfFqif.jpg


Ready to be stripped and cleaned

0gGb2Zh.jpg


Oh dear :confused:

aLPQn9t.jpg


The rest of the leaves are fine, no sagging and only surface rust, have to see if I can find just the small one.
 

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while but things have been moving on
I was scraping away cleaning up the underside when I found a massive hole :eek:
You could almost get your finger in it, well I had to try out my new welding set:)

ukq7xrI.jpg


Still need some practice but that is it - finito weldo.

ZI8GSAp.jpg


Then I slipped and whipped the engine out

CLaMl0d.jpg


wjCCapY.jpg


The engine runs fine but had a few oil leaks so I took the opportunity to do a little mod I've been thinking about. The Minor never had a timing chain tensioner but there's an old 1100 Mini engine that's been lurking under my bench for the last thirty odd years and that has one fitted:)
A modification was needed to the Minor engine front plate to take the tensioner and Mini timing cover.

I hade to cut the bit outlined from the Mini front plate and weld it to the Minor one and drill a couple of extra holes, one for the tensioner pin and the other for the extra fixing hole for the Mini cover

a2UF88H.jpg


Minor timing cover

bWdExBP.jpg


Mini timing cover

4zUBCvR.jpg


Fitted

fhTWMA7.jpg


As a bonus you can actually get to the timing marks, the Minor ones are underneath for some reason:rolleyes:

vOi7v3Q.jpg


A splash of BMC green and ready to go back in

USTxfjz.jpg


But it seems such a shame to put the nice shiny engine in that grotty engine bay;)
 

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm that could be better

XjT3ccA.jpg


I had to drop the engine back in to get weight on the front end so I could remove the suspension, I know it sounds wrong but believe me you cant get the tension off the torsion bars without it. Then you can take the Armstrong dampers off which also act as the suspension top arms.

YCwxQUf.jpg


So then much stripping out of stuff and masking what was left, a good clean and rub down then a generous coat of primer

fYv8Jrb.jpg


Then a splash of colour:cool:

EMuhBhA.jpg


I had just enough left in the tin the body shop gave me when Ted went in for accident repair.

yg6Mq4f.jpg


b097UKz.jpg


The colour on my phone camera is crap I'm afraid, the pics turned out grey so I had to edit to as near as I could to Bermuda blue.

I also made up a blanking plate for the Rota-dip hole

PMUzhqV.jpg


g0MHNwW.jpg


And yes it's true - I've been drinking Bud Light. Fosters give me indigestion:(
 
Top