Hopefully the welding on the drivers side is complete so I had a tidy up and shifted the car over so I could work on the other side.
Without removing the wing everything looked rosy, but I knew that wouldn't last
Front wing and door removed and would you look at that
This is the front face of the cross member that acts as the rear seat base. The few blobs of weld don't actually do anything as they are only stuck to one surface, the mound of filler is doing a great job of keeping it together though
Same thing on the floor edge around the seat belt mount
I whipped the front panel off to take a look at the engine bay tie plates
Doesn't look too bad (compared with the rest)
Well what do you know
I noticed a wonderful repair job on the suspension tie bar mounting plate which was typical of everything else I've found so it was at this point I said sod it and ordered another load of panels to do it properly. A chassis leg, tie plate, front and rear floors and an inner wing are on their way. I've already got the hinge panel, sill sections and spring hanger on the shelf, and I know what to expect when I start digging further, so hopefully this will be the last lot (famous last words)
Thanks Trev, I won't make that mistake again. I just can't believe someone actually did this to a car and sold it to me as 'restored', I just couldn't live with myself if I did that and would have to point out every flaw I knew of if selling a car. I guess I'll never make a used car salesman
I've had a bit of a lay off frem Ted after smacking my thumb with a lump hammer
and coming down with a nasty chest infection but back on it now
I decided to fit a cross member repair to this side as it would have been more bother to repair the original and made up the repair panels I needed for the wheel arch. I also made the last six inches of chassis rail to complete it
Little bit of CAD
Time to fire up the mig
I made up some cages for the captive nuts for the gearbox tunnel screws and also fitted some new seat securing bolt runners
Floor edge seam welded
Last little bit of wheel arch and floor edge end in place
I'll be moving on to the rear floor pan next so removed the rear side to see what I'm up against after that
Oh dear, doesn't look as bad as the other side but I haven't started poking around yet. I know the edge of the arch has been bodged and is full of filler but we'll soon see what else is hiding.
What a mannoth task John, but he is in good hands, wish I could come round and help,
Hopefully we will be able to stop social distancing soon, just in time for the easy part, putting him back togather.
Ah memories of the Morris 1000 that I bought 30 years ago, bought my first MIG welder and blew more holes than are in a colander, ended up gas welding all the repair panels, said then never again will I buy a Morris Minor / 1000.
The repair panel that I remember, that gave me the most trouble was cutting out and refitting the one that runs the width of the car.