Meet Ted

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Nah I've got plenty of vehicles for what we need. Thinking of a change of one of then though ;)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The gutter section is in

And flooded with zinc primer

The curved section and seam is filled with seam sealer when finished, I'll put some top coat in there for some extra protection before I do that bit.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
To hot in the back of the garage today, that plastic roof seems to magnify the sun, so I stripped and cleaned Harvey's brakes while basking in the relatively cool 84 degrees on the drive :oops:

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the welding on the drivers side is complete so I had a tidy up and shifted the car over so I could work on the other side.
Without removing the wing everything looked rosy, but I knew that wouldn't last :rolleyes:

Front wing and door removed and would you look at that

This is the front face of the cross member that acts as the rear seat base. The few blobs of weld don't actually do anything as they are only stuck to one surface, the mound of filler is doing a great job of keeping it together though:mad:

Same thing on the floor edge around the seat belt mount

I whipped the front panel off to take a look at the engine bay tie plates
Doesn't look too bad (compared with the rest)

Well what do you know

I noticed a wonderful repair job on the suspension tie bar mounting plate which was typical of everything else I've found so it was at this point I said sod it and ordered another load of panels to do it properly. A chassis leg, tie plate, front and rear floors and an inner wing are on their way. I've already got the hinge panel, sill sections and spring hanger on the shelf, and I know what to expect when I start digging further, so hopefully this will be the last lot (famous last words);)

daytona

Crikey :eek::eek::(:(, Just goes to show you never really know what you are buying when it comes to classics!!!
Super job Mr P..

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Trev, I won't make that mistake again. I just can't believe someone actually did this to a car and sold it to me as 'restored', I just couldn't live with myself if I did that and would have to point out every flaw I knew of if selling a car. I guess I'll never make a used car salesman :rolleyes:

PaulJL

My old mini had a sill made of brasso tins. The annoying thing was that they spent ages filling and painting over the top.

Gladys Crew

What can I say John, Ted looked so good when you first got him, but at least when he his back on the road it will be as safe as houses,

Keep up the good work you will get there in the end,

daytona

" What can I say John, Ted looked so good when you first got him, but at least when he his back on the road it will be as safe as houses"

I agree with Bernie, when you've completed the Panky magic it will be a great little motor again.;):cool:

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of months ago................

Chassis rail is in. I bought the half rail in the hope that would be enough but no, I ended up making another section of it and ended up with about six inches of the original
:roll:

Box of goodies from ESM
:D

That doesn't look good

That's better

I removed the remnants of the inner wing

And set about making up a few repair sections

Held in with tech screws for now until everything is lined up

Bit by bit it's getting there, I'm holding off welding anything until the wheel arch repairs are all fabricated and new inner wing is lined up.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a bit of a lay off frem Ted after smacking my thumb with a lump hammer
:roll:
and coming down with a nasty chest infection but back on it now

I decided to fit a cross member repair to this side as it would have been more bother to repair the original and made up the repair panels I needed for the wheel arch. I also made the last six inches of chassis rail to complete it

Test fit

Little bit of CAD

Time to fire up the mig

I made up some cages for the captive nuts for the gearbox tunnel screws and also fitted some new seat securing bolt runners

Floor edge seam welded

Last little bit of wheel arch and floor edge end in place

I'll be moving on to the rear floor pan next so removed the rear side to see what I'm up against after that

Oh dear, doesn't look as bad as the other side but I haven't started poking around yet. I know the edge of the arch has been bodged and is full of filler but we'll soon see what else is hiding.

This bit looks OK

Gladys Crew

What a mannoth task John, but he is in good hands, wish I could come round and help,
Hopefully we will be able to stop social distancing soon, just in time for the easy part, putting him back togather.:)

Cookie2017

Ah memories of the Morris 1000 that I bought 30 years ago, bought my first MIG welder and blew more holes than are in a colander, ended up gas welding all the repair panels, said then never again will I buy a Morris Minor / 1000.

The repair panel that I remember, that gave me the most trouble was cutting out and refitting the one that runs the width of the car.