Meet Ted

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Ah memories of the Morris 1000 that I bought 30 years ago, bought my first MIG welder and blew more holes than are in a colander, ended up gas welding all the repair panels, said then never again will I buy a Morris Minor / 1000.

The repair panel that I remember, that gave me the most trouble was cutting out and refitting the one that runs the width of the car.
Yup, this will be the last one I own

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
A bit more progress

To keep everything in it's place and stiffened up while I was chopping I fixed the boxing panel and front sill in place with tech screws to supplement the angle brace I put in.

aW4rNCl.jpg

Then Mr Angry came out and made a lot of noise :cool:

Yep managed to cut through the hand brake cable :oops:

Z8xfuB7.jpg

Someone has been here before and carved out a big hole

aEEMf0B.jpg

Count the layers, it's like looking back in time through the layers of strater :rolleyes:

T3nAZid.jpg

Some interesting repairs around the spring hanger

Zrxgyxk.jpg

I love tech screws :D

j4wJbl7.jpg

mirTK1i.jpg

nS9IrMr.jpg

Then a marathon welding session over a couple of days to make things permanent

Xc8yozP.jpg

zgnM9oa.jpg

Also made the front section of the inner wing and welded that lot up too along with the hinge panel and backing piece.

oFD4RDb.jpg

3vzxH82.jpg

7JScrQP.jpg

QRx22NG.jpg

Then splurged some zinc primer around

SmhAd1M.jpg

Gap looks good :)

27TK0gS.jpg

So that's the inner wing, tie plate, sills, boxing panel, floor and front spring hanger done. Next is the bottom of the 'B' post, outer under sill sill, rear arch and chassis, I'm sure it will be fine :roll:

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, he did look like he'd been dragged out of the Atlantic so an SOS could well have been sent ;)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Trial fitted the wing and all looks pretty good. I can get the gap smaller if needed.

s0RDb3U.jpg

Had a scrape around the rear wheel arch, I wonder what's under there :rolleyes:

JdsQttt.jpg

AHA

GrHC853.jpg

ZeBxI6I.jpg

QszwtEP.jpg

Inside looks OK

QyLUjLJ.jpg

bpdAJD9.jpg

I did offer the outer edge repair section up but by the time I've cut the rot out of the rest of the wheel arch there'll be very little left, so I'll be ordering a new one along with a spring hanger repair section

ukBQnpu.jpg

Was it Colin Chapman who said the best way to improve performance was to add lightness - in that case I'm heading towards a lightweight beast :)

Most of the pieces I've cut out have at least one or two extra layers plastered over the original - the record so far is seven :shock:

vmSoLdF.jpg

No noisy stuff today just a brush up and ponder the next move. Waiting to here back from ESM re the inner wheel arch, apparently there is only the saloon type available and it needs modifying slightly to work on the traveller. Pretty sure it will be OK but waiting for them to confirm before ordering

renaultvation

That looks so familiar. Why do people go to the trouble of welding in new panels over the top of the rusty originals? Looks like your tidy up has turned into a full-on restoration!

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The new inner wing and spring hanger repair arrived the other day but there was a bit of a problem :rolleyes:

It's supposed to be straight
4wQbLfl.jpg

bLTX8Kp.jpg

How it got twisted like that is a mystery:oops:

A quick call to ESM had a new one dispatched and arrived the next day

The inside of the rear chassis looked fine apart from a bit of surface rust and a knackered bump stop support

u8PFsBP.jpg

So it whipped it off so The repair panel could be fitted and a repair done to the floor edge further up

Lml8tMk.jpg

YwMCoTU.jpg

While it was off I gave it a clean up and treated it with Aquasteel before some zinc primer

SdupXz9.jpg

Old spring hanger section cut out

rCTsjQ6.jpg

New one welded in

OIiK6iU.jpg

Chassis section and new inner wing offered up

pQGgw3O.jpg

I started putting things together with tech screws today, put the side back on the car and tried to fit the outer wing flange section - what a pain :( The new inner wing will need a bit more fettling to make things fit, more of that tomorrow.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Been busy all week :)
New bump stop support fabbed up

jfSendL.jpg

CXfHmuw.jpg

and welded in

cwyJvy5.jpg

The hole for the damper drop link bolt was miles out in the new inner wing so I had to re-drill it and strengthen the area then plug weld it to death

O9bf7c0.jpg

sDAq4hm.jpg

Then on to the rear floor, it didn't take much to get the old one out. With all the previous repairs and filler it weighed about twice as much as the new panel

I5mCPQs.jpg

The inner wing to floor didn't fit very well and needed a bit of bashing about.

eizbguk.jpg

I'd opted to repair the inner wing on the other side so a couple of repair sections had to be made up

tecznOG.jpg

9ZaBO0z.jpg

To get to here

JNFmtGr.jpg

All welded up and a coat of zinc later

5YJsO20.jpg

27fHx1b.jpg

I'm a bit stunned as I've realised that was the last of the major welding jobs done, all the panels I've bought over the last few years have been used up :oops:
There are still a few little bits to do - rear wing flange repair, front bumper support to put back on, passenger door frame top section and possibly some repairs to the passenger side door bottom but that seems like minor stuff compared to the rest :D
Then it's onto bodywork and preparing for paint, new wood to fit, probably need to sort the brakes out after standing for so long, oil leak to sort out and much, much more :rolleyes:

S0updragon

The plague will probably be around for a while so you will have plenty of time to finish before the next classic car show

Gladys Crew

Well done Mr P what a momoth job but he is in the right hands, can't wait to see him in the flesh whan the world gets back to normal.:)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
What is, hopefully, the last pile of scrap for the tip. This is most of what I've cut out of the near side - and the box is deep:eek:

6Q25Hda.jpg

And new stuff weighing a lot less welded in.