1972 Commer PB

Progress, none, some...

Got a rock n' roll camper bed coming on tuesday, seat belts ordered, foam for the seats, spare tyre and campsite is booked for thursday so going to be busy Wednesday getting everything ready.

Van isn't ready for sleeping in yet (We have a cool retro Racelot tent to use till then) but it will have is first outing since MOT and with all the family :)
Fingers crossed.

Anybody around the Pembrokeshire area keep your eyes peeled!

Progress, none, some...

Got a rock n' roll camper bed coming on tuesday, seat belts ordered, foam for the seats, spare tyre and campsite is booked for thursday so going to be busy Wednesday getting everything ready.

Van isn't ready for sleeping in yet (We have a cool retro Racelot tent to use till then) but it will have is first outing since MOT and with all the family :)
Fingers crossed.

Anybody around the Pembrokeshire area keep your eyes peeled!
Hi Saul, well done on all of your hard work. I've just got back from Solva, might be heading back there in October so I'll keep a look out.

We ended up going in a more modern vehicle despite getting the van pretty cosy.
I have since spent time purchasing little items to try and make things more reliable / practical.
First on the list was the ignition barrel and having only one key left.
I have trial fitted a new on/off key barrel tonight which I am mounting in the dash and have fitted a push button start / stop ignition. Works great!
I found myself getting in too much of a flap with the old juggling of the original barrel. A full turn of the key wouldn't start the engine so you would have to back the key off to the right spot. Juggling that with adjusting the choke at the same time and then what seemed like fuel evaporation in the fuel line got me quite stressed at the petrol station :mad:
Changing the barrel is easy enough if anyone wants a guide?

That would be really useful. Why not put it in 'Mechanical Hints and Tips' so it's easy to find and I'll pin it so it stays easily accessible :)

pnWNQp2uj

Hopefully you can see the photo? Best positions I could find. Would have been nice to have the key on the face like the button but I didn't have the space

Commerworld....

Repair kit for the rear wheel is en-route from Martin. Come rain or shine I am going to get the rear hub sorted out.
Closely followed by a full inspection of the braking system and some new brake fluid.

Oh, and the electrics failed to work last time I got in and started it, even though I am sure they worked when I rewired the key switch / ignition?.......

Bit more work done.
Martins repair kit fitted.
Drilled out:
pn0V9t20j

And studs pressed in with new nuts from speedys:
pn6ghypTj

Also bled the brakes so it is ready to go back on some test drives. :)

Currently off work with a flu bug. Trying to be as active as I can.
Couple of small jobs to do:
Check air pressures in tyres (looks around 45psi for the setup I have)
Remove the log from the rear axle!
Sort out hazard light wiring.

I have a log above the rear axle. A wooden log.
Reason for this is I don't have anything but a trolley jack yet so I jack the chassis as high as I possibly can (which doesn't get the wheel fully off the ground) and then I have a hardwood log that I fit between axle and chassis rail.
Then I can put the trolley jack under the axle and lift from there. Gains more height to work on wheels. :)

Where does time go???
Van is due a run out to Pembrokeshire next weekend so have been spending some quality time with it.
All electrics sorted. Found the failing hazards were due to a dodgy contact in the switch.
Trced some other loose cables and stripped them out as not needed.
Fitted a new stereo with USB, Bluetooth, CD player, hands free etc and got the cigarette lighter working!!
Since I serviced the engine it seems to run really clean now and no apparent oil leaks which were there before the oil change!?!?

Any spare time is being spent tarting up the paintwork. Oh, and the jack will be here Wednesday :)

Back