1972 Commer PB

Discussion in 'Readers' Rides' started by Saul, Sep 9, 2016.

1. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Active Member

That's awesome!

2. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Active Member

Where's the valley... that's pretty awesome too...

3. Saul

Saul Active Member

4. Saul

Saul Active Member

Progress, none, some...

Got a rock n' roll camper bed coming on tuesday, seat belts ordered, foam for the seats, spare tyre and campsite is booked for thursday so going to be busy Wednesday getting everything ready.

Van isn't ready for sleeping in yet (We have a cool retro Racelot tent to use till then) but it will have is first outing since MOT and with all the family :)
    Fingers crossed.

Anybody around the Pembrokeshire area keep your eyes peeled!

BC Sunshine likes this.
  5. S0updragon

S0updragon Active Member

Good luck and enjoy

6. andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Hi Saul, well done on all of your hard work. I've just got back from Solva, might be heading back there in October so I'll keep a look out.

7. Saul

Saul Active Member

We ended up going in a more modern vehicle despite getting the van pretty cosy.
    I have since spent time purchasing little items to try and make things more reliable / practical.
    First on the list was the ignition barrel and having only one key left.
    I have trial fitted a new on/off key barrel tonight which I am mounting in the dash and have fitted a push button start / stop ignition. Works great!
    I found myself getting in too much of a flap with the old juggling of the original barrel. A full turn of the key wouldn't start the engine so you would have to back the key off to the right spot. Juggling that with adjusting the choke at the same time and then what seemed like fuel evaporation in the fuel line got me quite stressed at the petrol station :mad:
    Changing the barrel is easy enough if anyone wants a guide?

8. Panky

Panky Administrator Staff Member

That would be really useful. Why not put it in 'Mechanical Hints and Tips' so it's easy to find and I'll pin it so it stays easily accessible :)

S0updragon likes this.
  9. Saul

Saul Active Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully you can see the photo? Best positions I could find. Would have been nice to have the key on the face like the button but I didn't have the space

Panky likes this.
  10. S0updragon

S0updragon Active Member

True. It would have been a bit cluttered.

11. John tindle

John tindle New Member

Don't any of the commer members attend the wentworth classic show? I was there Sunday and not 1

12. Saul

Saul Active Member

Commerworld....

Repair kit for the rear wheel is en-route from Martin. Come rain or shine I am going to get the rear hub sorted out.
    Closely followed by a full inspection of the braking system and some new brake fluid.

Oh, and the electrics failed to work last time I got in and started it, even though I am sure they worked when I rewired the key switch / ignition?.......

13. Saul

Saul Active Member

14. Saul

Saul Active Member

Bit more work done.
    Martins repair kit fitted.
    Drilled out:
    [​IMG]
    And studs pressed in with new nuts from speedys:
    [​IMG]

Also bled the brakes so it is ready to go back on some test drives. :)

Panky likes this.
  15. Saul

Saul Active Member

Currently off work with a flu bug. Trying to be as active as I can.
    Couple of small jobs to do:
    Check air pressures in tyres (looks around 45psi for the setup I have)
    Remove the log from the rear axle!
    Sort out hazard light wiring.

I have a log above the rear axle. A wooden log.
    Reason for this is I don't have anything but a trolley jack yet so I jack the chassis as high as I possibly can (which doesn't get the wheel fully off the ground) and then I have a hardwood log that I fit between axle and chassis rail.
    Then I can put the trolley jack under the axle and lift from there. Gains more height to work on wheels. :)

16. Panky

Panky Administrator Staff Member

You had me wondering for a while there. Trying to work out what predictive text would have changed to 'log' :confused:

Saul likes this.
  17. S0updragon

S0updragon Active Member

One way to think of that. You’re getting paid to work on it :):) did the farm jack not work?

18. bazzateer

bazzateer Well-Known Member

I was thinking leaky thunderbox............

19. Saul

Saul Active Member

Haven't purchased it yet....saving up.
    Still haven't taken it on a test run :-(