1972 Commer PB

“Any spare time is being spent tarting up the paintwork”. :D

Excellent!
I will be tarting up the paintwork as well, as the garden hose seems to have rinsed a great deal of it off yesterday... :confused:

Busy busy. No oil leaks? Sure there’s oil in it lol
Haha, yes, quite sure, although it is probably because it hasn't run for long enough to have run to the bottom of the casing and drip since I cleaned everything!!
“Any spare time is being spent tarting up the paintwork”. :D

Excellent!
I will be tarting up the paintwork as well, as the garden hose seems to have rinsed a great deal of it off yesterday... :confused:
I know the feeling. I have been running around with a knife, sandpaper and some sealant to try and tidy up some seams.

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on my mot situation?
Mot exemption comes in on the 20th May. Mine runs out on the 19th!!!!

Found this "If the MoT for a vehicle more than 40 years old expires before its next taxation anniversary, the DVLA computer and therefore the police will recognise it as MoT exempt until the taxation date. If the owner declares it as a VHI at that point, it will continue to be exempt. If the owner doesn't, it will require an MoT test before being driven on the road."

How do you guys read that? Do you think my van is exempt until I need to get tax after the mot expires?

The way I read it is when you tax your vehicle you are asked if you want to declare it as a VHI (Vehicle of Historic Interest) which gives the vehicle MOT exemption. But if the MOT is up before the tax then you don't need to MOT but you must declare as a VHI when the tax is due, if you don't then you need an MOT before legally driving the vehicle on the road.
I always thought that the vehicle had to be MOT'd before you could claim VHI but it looks like I was wrong. Bonnie's MOT and tax was due last month but there was no declaration when I went on the DVLA site then. I did ask my MOT man about it and he was unaware of the 40 year exemption but was well clued up on all the other MOT updates.

From the DVLA website

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Update:
Recently back from the commers first trip out in a few years.
Took it to hermon, Pembrokeshire which is 116miles from here. Down on Saturday and back Sunday. Commer performed OK.
No excessive oil use, water remained at the same level. Got 20mpg due to a missing cylinder :-( next job....

I have located the missing cylinder, (no 2? Second back from cab), I have a spark and have checked the gap but no difference. Plug was black but no build up.
Trying to learn about the issue to see what is next so any help is appreciated :)
Also need to get under the front end and check out the shocks and see if they require replacement.

At least it didn’t wee everywhere. Don’t know about cylinders. Did plug smell of fuel? Is it ment to? Valve clearances? Do they have shims? Sorry not much help

Check the lead, I've had a couple fail on me that made intermittent contact and appeared to be OK when tested for spark.

1526406317937.png

Check the lead, I've had a couple fail on me that made intermittent contact and appeared to be OK when tested for spark.

View attachment 3863
I was wondering about that exact thing. I cleaned the plug and adjusted the gap so it is good when tested but the actual lead didn't feel great when I wiggled it. Was going to get a new set of leads....
Failing that, I will have to dig deeper.

I might also change the rear tyres for the original size to regain the original speed. The back end sits low anyway so I think it will be ok.

At least it didn’t wee everywhere. Don’t know about cylinders. Did plug smell of fuel? Is it ment to? Valve clearances? Do they have shims? Sorry not much help
Haha, I expected some sort of catastrophe. Especially the commer having a wee everywhere! just checked the water level and it hasnt moved at all :)

The way I read it is when you tax your vehicle you are asked if you want to declare it as a VHI (Vehicle of Historic Interest) which gives the vehicle MOT exemption. But if the MOT is up before the tax then you don't need to MOT but you must declare as a VHI when the tax is due, if you don't then you need an MOT before legally driving the vehicle on the road.
I always thought that the vehicle had to be MOT'd before you could claim VHI but it looks like I was wrong. Bonnie's MOT and tax was due last month but there was no declaration when I went on the DVLA site then. I did ask my MOT man about it and he was unaware of the 40 year exemption but was well clued up on all the other MOT updates.

From the DVLA website

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018
I’ve just renewed my tax on line and I couldn’t see a mot exempt box etc on it so???

Just so you all know. You have to go to a post office with your V5 and fill in a V112 to register vehicle exempt for the first time. Ended up ringing dvla to find out

Mot exemption isn't in yet? 20th May is the activation date. From then on you are meant to tick a box when you tax online.

Couple of photos as the old links have disappeared....

Current stance with Yokohama tyres
hScJ1Za.jpg

Dashboard with engine start button shown and key switch by indicator
z9Bj9XI.jpg

My dashboard flowers :)
vHHTRja.jpg

Photo showing the mirror and more of the flowers...
JKKm6yT.jpg

Discovered a weep from the brake master cylinder so that will be the next fix.
Became really apparent after sliding the front seat forwards and it rests against the pedal. It caused a nice puddle and a constant drip.
They always felt like they had air getting in somehow or something was wrong as pumping the brake would make it harder than it starts off.
Rebuild kit or new master cylinder...? That's the next question

Back