Introduce myself and the van.

Great to know it's running:)
Very early gearboxes had reverse on the opposite side of the gate so over to the left and down, they can be a bit tricky or so I believe.

Tricky isn't the word; it either goes in, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, give up and try again later! First time I drove Rupert, it took me ages to find reverse at Peterborough Services. In the end there was a bit of a queue and a big grin the owner of the splitscreen VW I was trying to park next to!

Phew thanks everyone. Reverse Located and working well down and left.
Now to get the timing set, a bit hard now I have hoses covering the timing marks so a bit of a hassle.
Will try get some photos up of the finished engine soon.

Here’s photos of the engine complete and running well. Off to try and attempt a roadworthy on Monday. The new floormat rubber tidies things up as well.
E927DC91-7CB1-434C-B6F4-30C26D9F8E7A.jpeg86FA8D88-707F-429B-A655-1322A4B14BD5.jpeg48ABE6FE-BAEE-4E15-A763-305514E87C00.jpeg505379D4-D173-4508-AB15-D0ED6D26A4B2.jpegA76557F0-C154-4978-96C6-C1C99BCDB378.jpeg42100286-19DC-4E9B-BA06-8D9893DFE5A2.jpeg7BB6D8CB-7222-41EB-85A4-97B3DB716298.jpeg

If anyone needs info on what parts I used that were aftermarket just let me know and I’ll share everything I’ve used.

Excellent well done looks great:)
One little thing I would like to see changed is the fuel filter moved to before the fuel pump as low down as you can get it in the cooler air. It will get hot where it is and cause fuel vapourisation, also a good idea to rout the fuel line from the pump to the carb in front of the radiator for the same reason.

One little thing I would like to see changed is the fuel filter moved to before the fuel pump as low down as you can get it in the cooler air. It will get hot where it is and cause fuel vapourisation, also a good idea to rout the fuel line from the pump to the carb in front of the radiator for the same reason.
Thanks Panky for those tips. I might re route the fuel line.
I am of the understanding though that placing the filter before the fuel pump decreases the suction significantly and will likely not get enough fuel from the tank to the pump. So upstream of the pump is the only way I believe. I may look at placing it somewhere by radiator though.
Cheers

There should be plenty of flow with it on the suction, it will reduce if the filter blocks but it will wherever it's fitted, better to have the crap in a disposable filter rather than have to strip the pump down to clean it out;)

Hi Panky & Yatesy,

I hope you dont mind me jumping in on this conversation, but I read your comments about the fuel filter location with interest Panky. I have just had to replace a couple of lengths of my fuel line, but my filter has the clamp bolted to the block which you can see here;

fuel filter1.JPG

and here;

fuel filter2.JPG

I experienced the fuel vaporisation for the very first time the other day after a run and could get it started for about 10-15 mins. Would i therefore be better locating the filter in the small rubber pipe section between the hard fuel line and the fuel pump that I hope you can make out in the image below? (Just for orientation I am lying on my back looking up from underneath with the underside of the fuel pump on the left) as well as routing a longer run of pipe in front of the radiator?

alternative filter location.JPG

The filter is in just about the worst place to be affected by the heat, as you suggest move it to before the pump and run the outlet from the pump in front of the radiator - low down is best. Top tip if you experience fuel vaporisation again is to pour cold water over the carb which sometimes helps.

Thanks very much Panky, I will look to make the change and thanks for the advice on the carb.

Apologies for not posting in a while but I promise I have been lurking!
I am just getting round to changing the location of the fuel filter now and running a new length of fuel hose in front of the radiator as suggested. Would it be a problem if I located the filter towards the back of the van just after the fuel tank as it is easier for me to access and cut a piece of the copper fuel line there as opposed to just in front of the fuel pump? Many thanks for the advice.

Probably the best place for it for filtering, make sure you put a nice big one in there. The only problem being it would be awkward to have to change it with a full tank of petrol.

Probably the best place for it for filtering, make sure you put a nice big one in there. The only problem being it would be awkward to have to change it with a full tank of petrol.

That’s great thank you very much Panky!

Back