Introduce myself and the van.

Hi & Welcome.
Sweet looking van... Think your need something a bit stronger than beers when you get to the re-wiring stage... If mind was anything to go by...
Your have to let us all know what you name her when finished.

Really keen to see how this project goes. Where are you in New Zealand? It certainly looks like you know what you're doing. I'm pretty much at the right-tighty, lefty-loosey stage myself.

Really keen to see how this project goes. Where are you in New Zealand? It certainly looks like you know what you're doing. I'm pretty much at the right-tighty, lefty-loosey stage myself.
Hi Duncan,
I’m in Auckland. Ha it might be a big charade, I haven’t started it yet...! This is the first vehicle with 4 wheels I’ve had a go at, the last restoration/project was a ‘68 Vespa so a bit different.
I see you’ve picked up the highwayman from Reefton, been looking at that on Trademe, love that green sun visor she’s got. Good luck with the project. One step at a time for sure.

Today was fitting the wheels and managed 3 out of 4. One just wouldn’t squeeze in with the height of my trolley jack after stripping the climbing nuts thread on the original commer jack which I’m guessing had not been used in some time. It worked perfectly in the jacking hole on the other rear before it became useless. I’m going to need a seriously high bottle jack for the road I’m thinking. The powder coating on the rims looks pretty sweet in my opinion and the old rusty hubs polished up nicely.
Finally found an alternator belt that would fit the new setup after 5 attempts!
Have heat wrapped the fuel lines and fitted carb.
Full new brake and clutch lines with new master cylinders. Fingers crossed no leaks when I come to the first stop sign, especially since I did quite a few of the flares in the shed!
Once the engine mount from Martin the lifesaver shows up that’ll be fitted along with radiator and associated hoses.
Then it’s time for the nervous first start...A654729A-9B86-4840-8CBF-0DFFEA30F3CC.jpeg526D3F04-D55B-41DB-9D4D-76BDCD8A0357.jpeg6D0166C3-817F-43AA-B6CE-145220F47CB7.jpeg66411FA2-2B40-4D6A-B900-85C2BEA436B8.jpeg338879FE-5DA3-40D8-BDDE-83505456460E.jpegD6BFE1E1-0306-4FB0-A7AC-D013FCE6828B.jpeg

Got one of the 1/4 light frames back today after deciding to do a proper restoration on it so it lasts another 60 years. Very happy with the work. Old rusty frame for show...A857A96B-C798-4332-A8E8-6470E5FFB28A.jpeg3AF0958A-789F-4DA4-9F17-5281A429F07F.jpegEB0957D7-1A05-4E9C-90F5-B7A9682CC5A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, it was machine part welding in Penrose, Auckland. They got their sheet metal guy to fold it and fabricate it. They had done some seriously good work on a Vespa project a couple years back and are always good.

Hi, it was machine part welding in Penrose, Auckland. They got their sheet metal guy to fold it and fabricate it. They had done some seriously good work on a Vespa project a couple years back and are always good.

Thanks. Is it the crowd on Great South Rd?

I did away with my 1/4 lights... Couldn't find replacements anywhere, so I removed the frame & glass all together...replaced glass with lexan & refitted all the catches & fitted new rubbers... They still look like the original 1/4's but they no longer open.

So after 15 years I gave the key and turn and it sprang into life. Running a bit rough but that’s to be expected as the timing still has to be done. Pretty happy it’s finally going and almost there.
However I have one issue and would love some help.
I cannot locate reverse!! I believe it is where sixth gear would be (lower right) and do I need to push the gear stick down as it doesn’t push down at all. Also when I move the gear stick to where reverse be the linkage fouls on the side of the radiator.
As you can tell I am very stuck on this one. Gears 1-4 are fine

Gutted. I have a pb autosleeper 1725 engine (if it matters) and reverse is right and down ( no downward or upward moving like modern reverses) When pushing it right there is resistance to get it past the 3rd and 4th gears line. It feels sprung loaded. Good luck

Back