Considering selling my van.

....................and ordinary jubilee clips can crush small fuel hose out of shape causing leaks. If there are any of those type of clips the flexible hose should be renewed and proper fuel pipe hose clips used. They are thinner metal with a small bolt and nut, and don't have the worm drive. Oh, and while on the subject, much of the fuel hose on sale is not resistant to bioethanol, and will perish in a couple of years or even less. And I'm afraid I don't know how to be sure of getting long lasting petrol fuel hose...............I don't do petrol.

Not that I'm aware of. Unless someone is impersonating me impersonating Mr Pankhurst. I'm not Scouse, no-one in our family has ever owned a Fiat, and I've said this many times "I DON'T DO PETROL":p

The mystery deepens.

If, as stated above the genuine Panky is "Panky", then "The real Panky" can't be Panky, can it? Unless he is impersonating himself. And who is the other (Fiat) "Panky", if it's not the genuine "Panky" or "The real Panky" impersonating himself.

I've confused myself now.

Carbs back on and running fine, there is a small amount of petrol leaking out of one of the breather screws on the top. Is there a reason why it might be leaking. The mixer screw was letting to much air in before, this is now 1 3/4 and seems to be running fine. Just the breather screw and the overspill tube is to short.

That's the float chamber breather. Either the float level is too high or the float valve is passing. Give the carb a tap or two with the handle of a screw driver and see if that works.

I've given it a tap, doesn't seem to be leaking anymore but I'll keep an eye on it, there's a small hose running away from the carburettor. At first there's petrol running out of it, it stops when the vans started. Is this hose supposed to go back to the petrol tank?

There should be only two connections on the carb, one is the fuel inlet the other is the vac line - a small plastic pipe that goes to the dizzy. You shouldn't have petrol running out of anywhere:eek:

By the sounds of it, the small plastic pipe is hanging down with petrol dripping out of it. Should the plastic pipe have petrol in it? The fuel inlet is attached to the top of the carburettor, looks fine I'm going to have a look now.

You can get petrol fumes condensing in the vac line but it shouldn't be running out. If it is the vac line it should be connected to the dizzy otherwise the engine wont run right and you will be drawing air into the manifold giving a weak mixture.

Is it called the retard pipe? There's the fuel inlet and a line running to the dizzy. I can't really see because it's getting dark, there was a small hose on the other side that was leaking fuel before it started. I can't see where it's coming from have to wait until tomorrow.

Yes, that's the pipe that goes to the dizzy. It retards the ignition timing as the engine revs increase. Take a pic of the leaking pipe tomorrow and we'll take a look.

Back