Considering selling my van.

Hi all, I'm considering selling my van. I haven't made a final decision yet, after my last journey with all the trouble I had im thinking maybe the project is to big for me. As you all know I've loved every minute with my commer. Not only have I had some lovely times with some very special people I have also done a lot of work to her. It's just that the carburettor was leaking and this worried me quite a lot. Without the experience I could of quite easily carried on and who knows what might have happened. I've loved the maintenance, from greasing to checking all the various oil etc. everyone on this great forum has helped me a lot, which I will never forget.

SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP snap out of it man:mad:
Your van has got to be one of the best maintained on here and this little hiccup is just a little part of the learning curve. Petrol leaks aren't good but don't be pushed into a panic reaction (I get the feeling someone has been telling you horror stories) they are easily fixed. What was the report from the guy who was looking at the carb for you? It can only be a leaking gasket or stuck float so come on Andrew don't be down hearted let's get this sorted between us:)

I've snapped out of it, of coarse I don't want to sell my beloved van. It's certainly been a learning curve. My mates coming to have a look tomorrow, he's said its not a major problem. Hopefully he can sort it and I can start going out in my van again. I do love keeping my van maintained, I'm very proud of it.

You can get a Webber replacement carb, which is a bit better than the Zenith, for £165 + vat from Speedies. It's a direct replacement and no need for any other mods - but now may be the time for an SU conversion;)

Lots of options, as above, get a re-build kit from Burlen fuel Systems, send it off to Burlen's and they can re-build it for you - it'll come back like new. No idea of cost but a quick call to them would get a price.

Andrew. You and me together. Newbies with a desire to enjoy the ride... Maybe we should meet up.

Worcestershire isn't that far (for an AA van)

Seriously... Mine has just had a month away for me and I got him back Friday. I'm like a big kid at Christmas.

Loads of people on here to help.

You may be jumping ahead of yourself Andrew, it could simply be a leaking gasket that needs nipping up or sticking float - no need for a re-build in that case and can be fixed for pennies:)

Andrew. You and me together. Newbies with a desire to enjoy the ride... Maybe we should meet up.

Worcestershire isn't that far (for an AA van)

Seriously... Mine has just had a month away for me and I got him back Friday. I'm like a big kid at Christmas.

Loads of people on here to help.

Ahem, we need a full report on your thread please:rolleyes:

Panky. Very true. I did the last rewiring myself this afternoon but dark when finished.

Pictures later this week (including the old burnt loom as a warning to all!)

Chuffed though. For a 1500 is pulls like stink now... Remembering that all things are relative.

I think for 50 yards between the Widnes lights I might give Harvey a run for his money. I reckon I'd get there on the reaction times... And yes... That's fighting talk!

Are you saying Harvey is slow off the mark or me:eek: Yes that is fighting talk:cool:
Only one way to decide this........FIGHT

An update, the carbutettor has been taken off. My mate showed me how to take it off, we also checked the air filter which is fine. The carburettors going to be reconditioned and put back on. We can then check and make sure shes running properly. Should take around a week. Obviously if it is the float of the gasket then this will be sorted without the reconditioning,

An update, I've had the carburettor sorted, the float chambers been re set and I've had a new gasket made. I've now got to get together with my mate and he can show me how it all goes back together:eek:. The silly idea of selling has gone, I'm missing being able to take my van out.

The mixture screw on my carb was letting to much air in, so that's been sorted. The gasket has been re sealed. Just got to put it back on now. Is there anywhere else that fuel could be leaking from.

Any connection can leak if it's not tight enough or the pipe has perished .

Back