Back of the garage

A while ago, because of the SU conversion, I did a mod to the air filter set up on Bonnie

KfGzQht.jpg

tRDZjsL.jpg

It worked pretty well but was always a little bit noisy and when I replaced the filter last year with a bigger one it was very noisy. So I had a bit of a fiddle with some bits and pieces I had laying around.

I had an old K&N cone filter and offered it up to the original air box

A little bit shallow but the rest fitted nicely so a little bit of packing required

cVrf2mm.jpg

KP0x8Ry.jpg

GgXGxwS.jpg

The inlet tract is a bit small so I welded on a length of 1 3/4" tube instead

GzyDTUL.jpg

Nice fit

xPEU7ve.jpg

A 3" domestic gutter downpipe elbow was a good fit on the carb side, just needed a little heat to push it on

EE66kW6.jpg

The other end was secured by extending the original wing bolt to the carb elbow

KuMUKWv.jpg

RtmgZzl.jpg

It fits in it's new position - just

MgiAlDI.jpg

PM8E164.jpg

lw2kJa7.jpg

I did all this months ago and finally got a chance to try it out and it's so much quieter. Before, if you put your foot down, the induction roar was just too much for such an elegant lady but now, along with all my other sound deadening additions, the cab is a far more pleasant place to be and as a bonus she seems to be a bit more sprightly:).
This was a bit of an experiment so some tidying up to do and a cleaning kit for the K&N to order.

You can see from Bonnies engine bay pic that, with the SU carb, the original accelerator cable sits at an awkward angle and makes it a little stiff. Harvey was the same and eventually the cable frayed up and jammed :confused:
So I fixed it with a noodle:)

and a universal push bike cable cut down to size

The run is now nice and smooth with no kinks

pwwtRZr.jpg

cLAmHxP.jpg

Got plenty to sort Bonnie out as well, all sorted for about a tenner:)

Now Bonnie's new air filter set up has proved itself I decided to make the installation a bit more permanent

First job was to recondition the very dirty and tired K&N with this £15 ebay purchase. Pic show it after treatment with the cleaner supplied, it works very well

tsTFmxT.jpg

I cut down a rubber ring that came with the filter I previously removed and fixed it to the air box to replace the foam.

qjiBN6K.jpg

Sits just right

jMzYauo.jpg

Filter all oiled up

0UEPLz6.jpg

YwXVisZ.jpg

While the air box was out I fitted a noodle to Bonnie's accelerator cable

ytlWJ3m.jpg

Jack nuts fitted to secure the air box bracket, note the several attempts to get the right position :rolleyes:

4vjzezj.jpg

Secured with a couple of stainless button head screws

9uhNSLm.jpg

Just need to use her now:)

MOT day for the Mini today, passed without any issues:) Less than 50 miles covered since the last one:oops:
Harvey went through a couple of weeks ago, only mention was the drivers side step being a bit crusty after me doing the other side:rolleyes: But all that will be sorted soon. He covered a whopping 304 miles in the last 12 months

The back of the garage is now the front and vice versa.
My re-located work space is beautifully tidy and organisedo_O

99ONdnB.jpg

Plenty of room to work on Harvey, I can actually fully open the cab door :) still a few bits to find homes for

SHxbjX4.jpg

And so it begins - again
Harvey suffered badly being outside as our daily transport for four years while Ted monopolised the garage

c9tXKOv.jpg

gqLVs2M.jpg

zT4g9Wy.jpg

sqlnPPe.jpg

fHIMf1p.jpg

cmJBcpT.jpg

He'll be getting new inner and outer cab steps, door bottom panel, some fluted panel repairs and numerous other small jobs - and a re-spray. A few weekends should see him sorted :rolleyes:

Harvey has a tidy bedroom. Ahh a tidy workshop. Like ice cream in the summer. Amazing but unfortunately doesn’t last long.

Back