The Snail

l_afa73d6bfccf0aa77204434c817e747b.jpg

Oh Bugger

Well, the 'running restoration' is now just a 'restoration'.

One of the blades of the fan fractured off, slashed a radiator hose and made a big bang, bounced and damaged the heater hoses.

A straight forward fix - but if i'm going to go to the hassle of taking the rad out - i might aswell fit a better engine. And if the enging is coming out, the gearbox might aswell be changed for an OD unit.

l_28d74dbcb6e842fb7b8e17c52595cb13.jpg

An engine - late rapier type - just needs a light rebuild...

l_ddfda421c3179500ab6f2d6359f09398.jpg

Engine not too bad - very little bore wear, +060 pistons fitted, somebody has been in here before... Yippie! Will fully strip and check, fit new mains, big ends, thrust washers, rebuild head, replace core plugs and job's a good 'un

Back in the real world, pulled the core plugs out - nice
l_4d41b5b114471ac5aa12b5e58d01414b.jpg

This is quite common in these engines - even when new they were reputed to have loads of casting sand left in - not good for cooling!
This needs a session with a jet wash and coathanger - this will have to wait until next weekend when i can borrow and engine stand.

All you needed was a little gentle persuasion (and a breakdown) and voila, a PBGT. Cool [8D][^]

'Harvey the RV'

before I bought my first van the last thing to have gone wrong was the fan chomping through the accelerator cable and damaging the rad so its not unheard of!

PS what a nice man.. a very nice man etc

I bought it from John Russell - there are some more photos at:

http://66.129.69.181/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=972

The body work is very good, no evidence of welding or replacement panels - all very straight. It's been resprayed in the past couple of years (still looking a little too new for my likeing). This maybe hiding the odd horror - but i'm optimistic. Lashings of waxoil are dribbling from all the right places.

It'll probably be 2-3 weeks before I finish the new motor, then need to get the old one out and try and fit the H120 OD box i've got. I've got a collection of cluches and flywheels - not quite sure yet what I need, will probably need to butcher the prop.

Not sure what carb set up to use, have some twin strombies (but do hate them) Would like a nice SU conversion to pop up.

Then must think about exhaust - keeping my eyes out for a sunbeam alpine series IV - V cast manifold (these flow okay and are cheap). Butcher a suitable bunch of down pipes then make the rest up from odds and sods. Might have the exit at the rear - anyone else doing this?

One or two :). Paulfordy fitted a Hunter GT lump in his old Highwayman and needed to modify the angle of the twin exhaust down pipes to make them fit down through the engine bay. I think he used a couple of Capri silencers and cobbled the rest from pipe. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the RC fortification thread is giving me ideas [}:)].

'Harvey the RV'

Oh I had a dream too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJJvqp0z7M&NR=1
Ah.. but that is what I am doing :)
Volvo B230FT + mods
Rob

Greanbean = Rob Smith after forgetting his password...doh

Managed to get the old motor and box out this weekend. Van too high to fit in garage so had to work outside in the rain. Fortunately keen younger brother vital addition to tool kit.
l_21d83a5d3a70ba77691c40287c731873.jpg

l_15d4970d39e8889fd7c1527dbe39aa18.jpg

Then spent hours scrubbing/jetwashing/scrubbing the engine bay to remove all the crap/wax/grease out of the way ready for some new paint.

l_578530a796b9c60f2cf9fb6c93eb163a.jpg

l_bab15f840fbf2a01f38e18df98349ce0.jpg

I'm sure having a white engine bay is about as logical as having a white carpet in a workshop...

l_a36ede1e1a447d4084f4f9bd815c0ab6.jpg

Expecting a big parcel from speedy's tomorrow.

Have discovered my H120 gearbox and OD is longer and at the wrong angle...

Can't swap bellhousing around as input shaft too long.

How bloody annoying!

And there are too many shagging splines which means making a new prop.

why is nothing ever easy!

quote:
Originally posted by sunbeamsam

I'm sure having a white engine bay is about as logical as having a white carpet in a workshop...

The logic is that its easier to see leaks and easier to work in a white bay cos it bounces the light around better; I did it and it seemed to make a more pleasant working environment :D

Have discovered my H120 gearbox and OD is longer and at the wrong angle... THIS SHOULDNT REALLY MAKE ANY ODDS,IT DIDNT FOR ME

Can't swap bellhousing around as input shaft too long. SPACE IT

How bloody annoying!

And there are too many shagging splines which means making a new prop. NO JUST THE FLANGE

Hope this helps!:) Keep perservering:D

Cheers
Jules

RatSport www.ratsport.co.uk

Think my gearbox / prop dramas are because the van didn't originally have a OD. I can either get an OD prop and swap the UJ spliney bits over - or cut and shut, i'll let you know how successful that is next week!
l_0b93719575bd405a6d3cc5857885c3a3.jpg

l_345e1498380151a7dc684b81ad892f8b.jpg

l_0068b14f1a958a69b5609466c70315f1.jpg

The exhaust is going well - bought a period tubular manifold off ebay for a scepter - and it fits well - just making a few 'adjustments' - which will be gas welded up - to keep it closer to the body.
l_9a4ee00e0ecb77219c986fec22a6cd31.jpg

l_14a00ebfc8f146311245bed7b9845aef.jpg

Engine is now in - though had to take off the nice alloy sump i had as it fouled the steering gear - reused the original one instead.
l_4c3515b09fd2efe3f1210ff6f2f38c85.jpg

top tip - if your engine won't fit - try swapping the engine mounts around! dooh!

I broke the head i was going to used (cracked it while trying to remove a broken stud) so am now planning to used a skimmed holbay item - not great without flat top pistons - but we'll see. Did the old plastercine test to check for valve piston disagreements.
l_1952a0d1236d008c2ec7da09916e937d.jpg

l_4127c86c1ace20bb1d133f2fe0be299e.jpg

Hope to spend some more time on the van this weekend. i haven't got a welding machine which is a little frustrating, but off to a man that can on friday so hopefully exhaust/ gearbox mounts and prop will get sorted.

next bit - the carbs... looks like twim strombies to start with.

interesting stuff - have friends about to embark on similar project so they'll be interested to follow how you're getting on. They have no internet so may well pester me for some contact details - if you have a phone number you'd be happy to give me on studiocommer@yahoo.co.uk sure they'd love to compare notes with you:)

Guess I was lucky when my fan blade sheared off - it bent the radiator cowling up so that it fouled the gear linkages but no permanent damage.

Bessie - four star commerdation

zero triple seven, five nine four three eight nine three.

the impact of the fan comming off actually snapped the engine cover catch!

Back