Well, the 'running restoration' is now just a 'restoration'.
One of the blades of the fan fractured off, slashed a radiator hose and made a big bang, bounced and damaged the heater hoses.
A straight forward fix - but if i'm going to go to the hassle of taking the rad out - i might aswell fit a better engine. And if the enging is coming out, the gearbox might aswell be changed for an OD unit.
An engine - late rapier type - just needs a light rebuild...
Engine not too bad - very little bore wear, +060 pistons fitted, somebody has been in here before... Yippie! Will fully strip and check, fit new mains, big ends, thrust washers, rebuild head, replace core plugs and job's a good 'un
Back in the real world, pulled the core plugs out - nice
This is quite common in these engines - even when new they were reputed to have loads of casting sand left in - not good for cooling!
This needs a session with a jet wash and coathanger - this will have to wait until next weekend when i can borrow and engine stand.
The body work is very good, no evidence of welding or replacement panels - all very straight. It's been resprayed in the past couple of years (still looking a little too new for my likeing). This maybe hiding the odd horror - but i'm optimistic. Lashings of waxoil are dribbling from all the right places.
It'll probably be 2-3 weeks before I finish the new motor, then need to get the old one out and try and fit the H120 OD box i've got. I've got a collection of cluches and flywheels - not quite sure yet what I need, will probably need to butcher the prop.
Not sure what carb set up to use, have some twin strombies (but do hate them) Would like a nice SU conversion to pop up.
Then must think about exhaust - keeping my eyes out for a sunbeam alpine series IV - V cast manifold (these flow okay and are cheap). Butcher a suitable bunch of down pipes then make the rest up from odds and sods. Might have the exit at the rear - anyone else doing this?
One or two . Paulfordy fitted a Hunter GT lump in his old Highwayman and needed to modify the angle of the twin exhaust down pipes to make them fit down through the engine bay. I think he used a couple of Capri silencers and cobbled the rest from pipe. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the RC fortification thread is giving me ideas [}].
Think my gearbox / prop dramas are because the van didn't originally have a OD. I can either get an OD prop and swap the UJ spliney bits over - or cut and shut, i'll let you know how successful that is next week!
The exhaust is going well - bought a period tubular manifold off ebay for a scepter - and it fits well - just making a few 'adjustments' - which will be gas welded up - to keep it closer to the body.
Engine is now in - though had to take off the nice alloy sump i had as it fouled the steering gear - reused the original one instead.
top tip - if your engine won't fit - try swapping the engine mounts around! dooh!
I broke the head i was going to used (cracked it while trying to remove a broken stud) so am now planning to used a skimmed holbay item - not great without flat top pistons - but we'll see. Did the old plastercine test to check for valve piston disagreements.
Hope to spend some more time on the van this weekend. i haven't got a welding machine which is a little frustrating, but off to a man that can on friday so hopefully exhaust/ gearbox mounts and prop will get sorted.
next bit - the carbs... looks like twim strombies to start with.
interesting stuff - have friends about to embark on similar project so they'll be interested to follow how you're getting on. They have no internet so may well pester me for some contact details - if you have a phone number you'd be happy to give me on email@example.com sure they'd love to compare notes with you
Guess I was lucky when my fan blade sheared off - it bent the radiator cowling up so that it fouled the gear linkages but no permanent damage.