Moley and Brian the Snail

Another year gone by ...... So another update on the life of Brian (does that sound like a film) Last weekend I picked Brian up from Tim's after Tim had "fettled" Brian, so we now have an SU carb, a ported exhaust manifold, an aluminium petrol tank :):):D watch me go......

Last edited:
Well Brian ran fine up to Martins and back on his new carb but Deb says he feels like hes holding back a bit on power when accelerating so I'm looking at trying a different carb needle, he is definitely smoother and quieter and starts a lot better.

Before you buy a new needle try pushing the needle carrier further into the piston first and see what happens. If that's no good file a little flat right at the top of the needle so it's a bit richer as the piston first rises, did this on Bonnie and it worked a treat:)

Have you used Minty Lamb before? brilliant for comparing needles

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/
Yea seen that site Panky, thanks for the info, John who has the nice Hadrian gave me the details of a guy on ebay GW carbs who sells SUs and hes recommended a Sherpa needle NZX 8036. Glen doesent sell needles but offered his advice freely so Ive got a few options to try. Brian is a 1600 so may need a different needle to what works on the 1725.

not sure where you're based but if you get a good tuner on a rolling road they can fabricate a needle to what you want...I've used a chap in Dinnington before...£90 full dyno and a fettled needle made to your reqs

Hello all, well I’ve read back through all my thread from way back in 2009 when I first got Brian, I’ve laughed and cried at the fun and adventures we’ve had…. But after another year of him not being used as he should be I think it’s now time to get him advertised for sale, so if you know anyone that’s looking for a rare coach built that wants it as a camper (not a coffee wagon) I’m open to talk £ although I’ve no idea on what to ask xxx

Hello all, well I’ve read back through all my thread from way back in 2009 when I first got Brian, I’ve laughed and cried at the fun and adventures we’ve had…. But after another year of him not being used as he should be I think it’s now time to get him advertised for sale, so if you know anyone that’s looking for a rare coach built that wants it as a camper (not a coffee wagon) I’m open to talk £ although I’ve no idea on what to ask xxx
Nooo... This makes me weep....
I would ask martin Watts for a valuation are you a member ccc?
He will do you a free valuation.

Oh no, you can't! :oops::(

Back