Meet Ted

Thank you :)
I'm not feeling the love at the moment as he refuses to run right. Popping and coughing (a bit like me last week:() no matter what I try. I've ordered a new dizzy and coil, although I think what's on is OK (pinched it off Harvey:eek:) so I'll strip the carb tomorrow and see what's what.

I experimented with different grades of oil in the carb dash pot, it's now got SAE 50 in it and gives a further improvement. I recon he's 95% there and a slightly richer needle at the mid and top range should give the rest :)

Ted got papped on his second trip to B&Q this week :)
Did you know that 2.4m long packs of wooden battens will fit in a traveller:D

0Bn8YDT.png

I think Ted got the hump with all the work I'm doing on Harvey and getting the Mini ready for the MOT :rolleyes:
He was a bit reluctant to start this morning but was running fine on the journey to the tip but on the way back he started playing up :( Sounded like he was running on less than all cylinders but the was a good spark at all plugs so the pressure tester came out - but it was broken :rolleyes: . I used the old trick of blocking the spark plug hole with my fat thumb while I turned the engine over - no pressure on three and four:eek:
I suppose this could have caused it

aHmaYIK.jpg

Soon to ne replaced with this

tELcvYT.jpg

The Mini boys recommend them so lets see how this one goes

Head all cleaned up, valves lapped and new studs fitted. The threads were knackered on the old ones o_O

vBB5anb.jpg

gtjcBSz.jpg

New head studs too :)

rjdT9Vt.jpg

I decided not to use the Reinz gasket as I'd sent for an OEM Payern one

I made sure it was the right way up

vFaKCIa.jpg

These gaskets need 'conditioning' and the engine is warmed up without coolant (only for a few minutes) to soften the coating on the gasket and provide a good seal. Once cooled down I re-torqued the head and rocker pedestal studs then filled with plain water again for the conditioning process. Apparently filling with antifreeze can allow the thinner coolant to seep into the gasket and cause leaks, plain water (only used for a short while) swells the fibres of the gasket again making a good seal. All information was gleaned from the Mini Forum from those who have had good success with these gaskets.
The engine was then run up to temperature and leak checked - so far so good :D Tomorrow I'll re-torque again then take him for a run.

Running sweet :cool:

Wlv4704.jpg

Back