Back of the garage

Finally dug out the spot lights I bought from a car boot sale thirty odd years ago, gave them a polish, made a couple of brackets ( the holes were still there from when a pair was previously fitted.)

Wired in through a switch and relay so they only come on with main beam

uEOPnqs.jpg

Bonnie never had a main beam warning light fitted and I just happened to have a blue shielded lens Rootes one in me box of bits - also found a spare starter button which makes an excellent head light flasher :)

caLJFFB.jpg

5uOeDFA.jpg

Harry, one of the previous owners, is a marshal at the Moffat rally and he was telling me about the unfortunate circumstances which lead to the disappearance of the original lights (his wife chucked them out:rolleyes:) and he said he'd love to see Bonnie adorned with a set - so Harry, this one's for you:)

Harvey's gearbox had to come out again:rolleyes: I was having difficulty selecting gears when every thing was hot, fine when it cooled off but had to pull away in top a couple of times:(
So box out and stripped, all the gears and synchros looked fine and slid about easily, the only things I found was a worn looking selector fork and the thrusts on the layshaft looked to have picked up, maybe they got damaged when I put it together. I also decided to use the casing that came with the gear set - I used the one that came with the OD last time.
While I was at it I fitted an MGB clutch release bearing, dead easy to fit just needed about a millimetre filing off the inside faces of the fork to make it fit

ifTjKed.jpg

Test run was successful, first is a tiny bit reluctant to engage sometimes when hot but a big improvement.

Also been on a mission to make life a bit quieter in Bonnie's cab when hairing down the motorway.
A couple of metres of self adhesive 10mm closed cell foam later I borrowed Barbs sewing machine and made some arch covers.
Not the neatest fit in the world but looks better in the flesh :)

Kc6kVIM.jpg

zr2Kvga.jpg

Did the engine lid and front as well, it has definitely made a difference.

Nice Mr P. I’m on a further soundproofing mission at the moment too though it’s quieter than most being the later van. Just bought a load of the tar type and foil stuff to line the front floor under the carpets, front panel and inside doors, hoping to add to wheel arches too and then restore some original wheel arch and engine lid rubber covers I have which are in a pretty bad state - not quite sure how to do that yet but must be a way and a challenge I’m looking forward to

I had the bitumen type stuff on the wheel arches etc and it does help a little. It's sound deadening rather than sound proofing so only stops the panels from drumming but does little to keep engine noise out.
I used this stuff on the arches and engine covers and it does seem to work. I guess you could even try stick it on the back of the arch covers rather than the panels, might work.

I got two rolls which was plenty and quite a bit left over, might try sticking what's left to the back of the carpet.

The air filter I've fitted makes most of the noise, would sound great on a sports car but a bit too much induction roar for Bonnie but I have a plan ;)

A lot of my noise seems to now be from the floor, have 10mm foam covering as a carpet already so assuming panel drumming is the remaining noise, the engine is fairly quiet as have the ‘hi line’ engine cover and have thick matting inside of it and on the engine front panel also. I’m being quiet fussy here as me and the missus can chat even at 60 mph. I do think the air filter is making a fair bit also, going to see if I can move it in front of rad without affecting performance too much

Bon's filter is in front of the rad but the design does make it noisy so be careful which one you choose. The fan is another noisy bugger.
Harvey is a lot quieter with only the lecky fan fitted

Electric was my plan for the fan too, just need to sort electrics out first as voltage dropping under elec load, hopefully this weekend and then try a fan. Would yours fit with just the fan removed? I don’t want to go whole elec water pump but that leaves little room for a fan also was it easy enough to fit?

It was very close with the manual fan removed but my set up it a home brew using a Ford fan, a Kenlowe type might be a bit slimmer. I ended up moving the rad forward to give a bit more clearance to be safe.

Back