Strong smell of petrol - can anyone identify this?

Hi Folks,

Thanks to Martin we went on our maiden voyage from Rhyl to Bala at the weekend. Everything went well apart from the fumes in the cab became too much after a while.

Anyway, 2 points to fix at the moment.

1. Is the seal for the hatch. I have found a number of sites that sell seals, but I am unsure which is best or the most appropriate. The seal on there at the minute neither sits inside or outside the hatch, just sort of plonks down and spreads which ever way physics allows. Does anyone have a link to a specific product so I can get it right?

Our seal looks like ETS619 at http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=3

but the bulb bit is much bigger, floppier and torn.

2. There is another leak. It comes with a strong smell of petrol, but the patch under the engine feels like a mixture of petrol and oil. I am thinking that it is petrol running down and taking some old oil with it, but as you are more than aware, I am no expert. Any road up, I rooted around the top of the engine hatch and found this bit. I have no idea what it is, but it is wet with petrol and appears to be the culprit. Can anybody tell me what it is, please?

Thanks once again.
This time next year, I may be answering questions. Good times.

Regards

Dave

IMG_0194.JPG

A fuel pump, cam operated.I would guess there are gaskets worn and leaking on the housing itself or the inlet/ outlet pipe has fractured slightly.

New pumps are available, not sure about any gaskets and seals though.

This is the fuel pump. Check the connections are tight first. Then undoe the nut on the top. Underneath is a rubber seal and gauze. Clean the gauze while you're in there. try flipping the seal over and re-tightening (not too tight). If the leak is lower down the pump, you may need a new diaghphram, or replace the pump ;)

not a lot to add, more a related question ..

would a low pressure electric pump be suitable as a replacement ?

if so, would this alleviate the "spin it over till the battery's nearly dead trying to get fuel up to the carb before she'll start" scenario?

In theory yes Zimm, it would omit the cranking scenario.Maybe you speak to commeracer about leccy fuel pumps, and water pumps if you really want to improve things..

Try this :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMMER-PB-SERIES-FUEL-PUMP-REPAIR-KIT_W0QQitemZ220269392657QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Just try tightening the nuts on the inlet and outlet pipes first.

Personally, if money is no object, I'd fit a new pump rather than muck about with replacing seals. (but of course I'm not from Yorks! ;)) Anyway, there's loads on eBay and they're about ten quid or so. Even if you go the seal route, you'll probably need a foot long bit of string to get the pump back on; ask for more details!!!

I think electric (preferably Facet) is the way to go, although you will need to make a blanking plate, unless someone knows better in which case please tell me as I will be changing to electric pump soon

Cheers
Jules

RatSport www.ratsport.co.uk

agree with jules, get a facet leccy pump, about £35 ,i think the red top one at 1 1/2-3 psi pressure is all thats needed. mount it at the back near the tank so its pushing fuel rather than trying to pull it :)

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off no.3"

quote:
Originally posted by commerjules

I think electric (preferably Facet) is the way to go, although you will need to make a blanking plate, unless someone knows better in which case please tell me as I will be changing to electric pump soon

Cheers
Jules

RatSport www.ratsport.co.uk

You could make a blanking plate or just chop off the lift arm on the mechanical pump. Not sure what will happen if you run the old pump dry - come to think of it I've left the old one in on the Mini after fitting a Facet [:0]

'Harvey the RV'

quote:
Originally posted by commeracer

agree with jules, get a facet leccy pump, about £35 ,i think the red top one at 1 1/2-3 psi pressure is all thats needed. mount it at the back near the tank so its pushing fuel rather than trying to pull it :)

makes perfect sense, its going on my to-do list.

I've got a Filter King with Harveys name on it ready to fit, just need the leccy pump to complete the set up, that is assuming the Rapier engine with twin Strombies goes in of course :p:p:p

'Harvey the RV'

quote:
Originally posted by Panky

I've got a Filter King with Harveys name on it ready to fit, just need the leccy pump to complete the set up, that is assuming the Rapier engine with twin Strombies goes in of course :p:p:p

'Harvey the RV'

sounds like a plan !

how much extra ooomph does the rapier lump provide ?

has anyone considered a 2 litre zetec ?

or a porsche 924 engine ? i may have one of those going spare soon .. if my mate comes good with the 4 litre TVR engine for the porka.

A lively push is what I'm hoping for, not out to out perform modern stuff :I

'Harvey the RV'

quote:
Originally posted by BigMonkeyMan

go on ... tell me about the foot long bit of string...

www.littleyellowcar.co.uk

Okay, you might need it to raise the lift lever arm when the pump is offered up to the engine block/cam. The arm can try to go under the cam, rather than over, it with disasterous consequences if the engine is turned over. [V] Simply slide the string under the lift arm and hold it up in the correct position and slide the pump over the bolts, once in position simply pull the string out and hey presto.

I was shown this trick by a retired AA man when we were broken down changing the fuel pump due to snake skin on the side of a French backroad...

The simplest tips are always the best [^] One for Mechanical tips Admin.

'Harvey the RV'

Back