Rusty the Autosleeper 2.0

Looking great:cool:
Always a bit nerve racking especially when it's the first MOT but I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember to give the brakes a good work out on your way there. they don't like being used sparingly;)

Cheers! :D
We're getting there, the weather has been against us recently. Sunshine one minute, hailstone the next. :eek:
Still need to look into the handbrake and the fuel pipe from the filter to the carb was a bit loose yesterday when I tried starting her up, it's getting to tinkering time. :D

Not much else has changed recently either, but I took a couple pics;
26719231455_cce560f5ba_b.jpg

The bottom panels still need a little work at the back, thinking of trying to make some rear spats to fit over the wheels too. She needs a chin too. :p

Forgot to mention I have 5 Commers too didn't I?...
Shame 4 of them are models. :rolleyes:
26112974024_e564387286_b.jpg

Rusty also had a visitor a couple days ago, surprisingly he/she was quite tame.
Also knew where they were going as they waddled on through the neighbors garden after waiting for their electric gate to open. :D
26719227375_2e2e275970_b.jpg

(Terrible picture, but by the green bin :p )
26113099044_03718a8f2e_c.jpg

Update time!

We're still getting on with bits and bobs, trivial bits now :D
I'm hoping for an MOT ASAP, getting a bit close to Tatton now and I'm starting to panic... :p

Engine sounds sweet after sorting the blowing exhaust and the brakes feel good!

Ran into a bit of an odd one with the pop-top though, is there supposed to be a spring on the back end of the van to help it? We've got the two on the front on each side, I'll have to get a picture of this extra spring tomorrow.
28160727655_ef06fb1d63_b.jpg

She doesn't look any different, as most of the work are things like switches, brackets, hinges, etc,
but I treated her to a once over with the wash mitt today. :p
27766077800_fa795dda37_b.jpg

( I have this one as my PC's background haha)

Hopefully she'll be on the road within a few weeks, I've got a wedding to go to later on this month,
so it's full steam ahead! :cool:

Looking good:cool: Yes there should be a spring on the back of the roof, it's on the inside.

Grand! Thankyou :D

I'll get on with that tomorrow, did an airport run today so it was a wasted day on the Commer-front :(
Still have a curtain to put up, the other was done months ago... :oops:

I'm waiting for most of the neighbors to go out so I can do some cheeky burnouts up the road. :p

A bog-standard 1725 with a Zenith and no Overdrive, I feel like I'm possibly being a bit optimistic... :p
I'll be relying on the handbrake keeping the front wheels locked, haha!

Didn't get much done today unfortunately, my daily somehow managed to throw itself out of timing :eek:
Think she's on her way out sadly, but I'd rather get another engine than send her to the scrapyard in the sky.:(

So with that in mind, I'll possibly be vehicle-less soon, so I need Rusty on the road so I can plod along. :p

5 month update!

We're about done! (As before...)
An MOT will show us what we need to do...

As usual, The Daily ( Soon to be known by..."Youknowwho" ) (Same Daily that almost died; new engine later....) demanded she'd be ready for an MOT...
She failed on a tyre and the plastic parts of the brake cables...
Sorted now!

So back onto Commer things...
I've been slacking when comes to Commer-related shenanigans...
We're almost at MOT-worthy status, there's a few things to sort like lighting and that,
MOT Time soon, Christmas present maybe?
I reckon she's ready, other than a clean-out, as she's full of rubbish :p

Been a while since an update....

It's "THE DAY" today (I've not been to bed yet though)
MOT time.

It's bittersweet, my Alfa is no more. Someone tried overtaking me and a car behind me as I was turning right, my car was wrote off :( ( I ended up down in a ditch which was quite scary looking back at it :eek: )
Fortunately both me and the other guy were fine, plus I have the front badge off my car, it's getting glued in Rusty somewhere as a tribute, haha.
33100621870_29eaeae9d2_c.jpg

Fortunately, insurance paid out so I could get on with Rusty,

Bits & Bobs have happened since the last update, I'm quite proud of this though... :p
33100613880_76999a1386_c.jpg

I'm further along with my Lego Dashboard now, but I'm out of flat bricks... I've managed to build a decent phone holder though ;)

That brings us up to today, the calm before the storm...
Rusty is in for her MOT today (Friday)
I'm 90% positive it'll go well, the windscreen as slight de-lamination on the edges and I'm not sure how the MOT tester will decide on the wheels... but everything else seems fine, the engine is sweet as a nut and brakes seem better than any of the 'modern' cars I've had. :D
33443061966_87572d0d57_c.jpg

Crikey:eek: Glad you're OK but what a shame about the Alfa - lovely looking car I always thought.
Loving the Lego dash, I might copy and include some Batman Lego figures on mine:D
Good luck today.

Bit of a late reply, she passed! :D
Didn't make it to the original MOT as she was running a bit rough and making strange noises,
a week later she went in and came out with a clean sheet of health; 0 advisories too :)
Now it's down to insurance and changing her over to Historic tax (And her colour, she isn't blue any more) :p
33265446704_c398d10463_c.jpg

Question .. Hammerite on the engine: is it specific engine paint or just normal hammered-finish hammerite ? I ask 'cos I was once told it will just burn off owing to engine temp.

Lovely looking van ! I like the way you've added the skirt to the body rather than sunk-in as standard :)

hammerite is fine on engines - i painted it on mine years ago and it still looks good.

just don't paint the exhaust manifold...

Cheers :D
And aye, it's just normal Hammerite, still seems in decent condition other than being a bit dirty haha

Got a question for you lot too :p
Who are you insured with? Admiral apparently don't do campervans anymore,
bit peeved with that because I paid the year in full for my Alfa, only for her to be written off 2 months into the coverage.
I've heard a lot of classic insurers don't insure people under 25 (I can't wait another 10 months... :eek:)

Is Rusty really a campervan if she doesn't have a bed, cooker or fridge? ;)
I can't change my Tax class to Historic until she's insured and taxed, then that's all that's standing in my way for her being back on the road! :D

Back