Replacement master cylinder (and other nuisance springs)

I'm sure many of us are aware what a PITA it is replacing a master cylinder, mainly due to the pedal return spring working against you all the time.

So, I just done my clutch slave, and here's my top tip for the job...................

IMG_2386.JPG
Compress the spring in a vice, and secure with a couple of wire ties (or zip ties I suppose).
Assemble the whole thing, with the spring in place. There's now plenty of room to get the top bolt in, and it's much easier to get the cotter and split pins in. When it's all buttoned up slip in the spring plate and snip the ties.

I love that idea!

Still the hardest job I have had to complete on the commer was the springs on the front brakes.

ahhh those were the easy ones!

I'm referring to the little circle ones that you had to get the pin through and twist. I think I still have the indent in my fingers from trying to do that one.

ahhh those were the easy ones!

I'm referring to the little circle ones that you had to get the pin through and twist. I think I still have the indent in my fingers from trying to do that one.

That mole wrench also has a groove ground in each of the jaws to form "finger nails" to grip the dished washers. I find this easier than the commercial tools (ie Silverline 258121)

With hands that are as knackered as mine, every job like this has to have a special tool to help me!

I had the pliers on the pin.

One of those situations where if I spent 5 mins getting the right tool I would be fine. But I'm sooooo close I almost have it....PING

Yup. Put the pin in place through the back plate with one of the washers and spring over it, place the other washer in the jaws of the pliers while holding the back of the pin in place with your finger, push the washer over the end of the pin and twist.

Hmm maybe I did. I can't recall.

I just remember doing all four wheels at the same time and it was the last one which I spent 30 mins swearing at. 20 minutes of that was spent finding the spring when it flung off into the dirt. Thank god I have a shed now.

Back