my engine's died!

Hi guys,

I'm in need of some advice regarding the very poorley 1725 petrol engine currently in my 1978 dodge spacevan.[V]

I recently had the pistons replaced, drove a few hundred miles and had a nasty internal rattling from the engine. The shell bearings are badly damaged and the crank has been scored.

so I am now in the heartbreaking position of looking at my options to keep the van on the road, and thought someone on this forum may be able to help with advice and potentially locating a new engine.

getting the current engine going again would be costly and we're not really sure of the problem that caused the damaged. I quite fancy an engine that will be more economical or powerful? or maybe plonking a perkins diesel in there?

anyone got a working 1725 petrol or perkins diesel 4/108 for sale??
or any info as to other engines that could go in??

maybe a new van would make more economical sense???..but I love her...??
please help,
a squiffy hearted
nancy

what kind of working order are the engines in??
what kind of price do you want?
and where abouts are you based?

Good luck getting van back on the road Nancy, being squiffy hearted is a common side effect with commers, well worth the effort and devotion (I am biased mind[:X])

Thanks...the squiffy heart moments have so far been outweighed by the freedom and warmth she brings...lets hope it'll be the same this time round...

I've got to hit the road again tomorrow, so having to heartbreakingly leave her behind for the next few weeks...boooh!:(

In the mean time I'm researching all the possible avenues that may unfold to get her back in working order, so do keep any other advice flowing...

I'll(or my mechanic will) give you a ring soon about that engine martin, thanks...
nancy xx

Freedom, warmth and independence (except when they develop major troubles, then I have to smiling sweetly at my other half[:X])
Hope van safe and well on your return.

If you have a chance to ferret around the forum there are several topics that develop into engine speak, have heard cavalier engines mentioned and there is this thread which mentioned Hunter GT
http://66.129.69.181/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=208&whichpage=14

Thread topic title doesn't always give you an idea of what topic develops into, I can't find the one now which mentions cavalier engine - a fantastic piece of engineering.

Martin great to deal with so should work out as good option to go for his engine if chance arises.

Hi I think by you having replaced the pistons it puts a strain on the crankshaft you should have replaced the bearings as well hope this helps

Could be that the oil pump has give up the ghost [xx(]. You can replace the crank and bearings with the engine still in, not sure about oil pump though. If it's possible to change the pump with the sump off it might be a simpler job to get a re-grind and new pump rather than swap the engine.

THANKS for all the info guys...really helpful...;)
lots for me to look into...

Have I understood right, that the crank can be replaced, or removed and re-ground, without having to take the engine out?[?]

I have also heard that a peugeot 2.5 litre diesel will fit in with a little modification..??

I'm feeling a little bit gutted that I didn't make a bid on the tax exempt, LPG converted commer on ebay last weekend. Went for £760, feels like a bargain, did it go to one of you guys??

I rebuilt the engine of my camper with it in-situ. Pistons, crank and sump were all replaced from underneath with the block on it's mounts. It is awkward but it can be done and if you don't have access to lifting gear is well worth a try. But as I said I'm not sre about the oil pump.

Back