Middle seat belt answer ?

Been thinking about this and poking around in sybhil, come to the conclusion that mounting a belt in the roof is not a good idea as its not very strong and can,t be strengthend easily plus it already has a big hole in it [:0]
the ideal answer would be a roll hoop, but this is made difficult by the handbrake [V]
So it seems the best solution is a proper harness bar across the B pillars, i know what your thinking here but hang on, the plan is to weld in stengthener plates on the B pillars (just below head height) with tubular stubs on them about 2-3" long, then a tube that fits in between the stubs (same diameter) with a sliding sleeve on each end, so you put the bar up between the stubs and slide the sleeves over the stubs, this can be bolted or pinned to both stubs and bar locking it into place. Then a bracket can be welded to the bar to take a seat belt reel,or a threaded boss welded in to take an eyebolt for clip on harnesses. so the whole thing becomes quickly detachable when not in use [^] this gets over the problem of being permanently in the way when camping.
plus the added bonus here is the bar adds some crash protection and can be used to mount headrests on for all three people in the front, which is something also badly needed in a commer [xx(]
i have done this before with great success ;)
so would anyone be interested in this if i get something together, either as a diy kit so all you would need to do is weld the stub plates in, or a drive-by service? or am i wasting my time?
cost wise i would think £50-75 region at a guess.
what do we think guys :)[?]

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"
4129400434_9eb90651a0_o.jpg

I think you are mad as a hatter but i'd trust my life with you when you speak with this much knowledge on these things HAHAHAHA! If Radar had the spare £75, i reckon it would be a great benchmark to start with;-)

Album003-1.jpg

CommDon.jpg

i think its a great idea even if you did use my line of thinking in the first place, haha only joking mate. i would deffinatly be interested in it mate once me vans on the road. go for it.;):p

th_HPIM1509.jpg

Big Bad Woolf

i need a middle seat first:(:I price does sound very reasonable though[^]well done tim for coming up with a solution:D;)

Dodge Glendale

Solutions r us :D
after about 10 mins 4 years of rollcage fabrication its something i have come across before, and this is the general way around the problem :)
mad as a hatter, certainly [:eek:)]

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"
4129400434_9eb90651a0_o.jpg

Genius[8D]
That's the answer[^] With the middle seat or bench in the way you would be unlikely to be hopping over into the back anyway so not too much of an issue with it getting in the way:I

th_killin.jpg

Would you have any pics Tim? Is this service still available? I see you may have a mini meet when Harvey is on the road...is it a quick enough job?

just thinking about it, the intention would be to for putting little Oliver in the middle seat...

No pics Colin, use your imagination :D
Its something i can do at the barn in a day if i organize parts beforehand :)
Would you want it welded in or the removable option [?]

4512057915_d4db8c4f01_o.jpg

"You,re only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"

Probably removeable, excuse my ignorance but this would be to take a harness sealt belt right? like in racing cars? so not really suitable for Olivers chair?

A baby seat ca be got easy enough that is held in place with a lap strap then the baby seat has its own harness....olivers chair is for an older child but doesn't have its own harness, it sits on the seat, then a normal 3 point seat belt straps him and the chair in together if that makes sence?

Once the bar is there, anything can be welded to it to take any kind of harness/belt.
sounds like you want an inertia reel type which bolts up high :)

So, your cunning plan could work for us if we supply an inertia seat belt...

We have tried to find the type used in disabled buses that fix to the floor but they all seem to slot into a runner in the floor and then pull up over the shoulder and then across the lap just like an inertia...the problem being that they 'slot into a runner' and I cant see how to get over that hurdle...

Just had a look on google, but I can't find it now, there's a company that sells all kinds of belts in a variety of colours, (if you want to colour code,) which has a variety of fixings.

Edit: Just found them, www.securon.co.uk I'm sure you could find something on there that's suitable for your use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love all 4 wheeled vehicles, irrespective of age, (apart from Mondeos and Focus').

Ideally you want a reel thats roof mounted,or a rear seat one that mounts up high, so we we don,t have to try and fix it between the seats where space is tight. that way the reel can be mounted on the bar.
a normal front one would have to be upside down, not sure that would work ;)

Back