hi all

hi folks
after years of hard core camping am finally getting sick ofthe weather and hanging out the tent to dry in the garage and scrapping the muck off of stuff every weekend. Been exploring the world of campers and weve found ourselves coming back to commers for their cool as style.
have found one locally, is quite rough. can anyone give me an idea of what would be a reasonable price for a 65 autosleeper with no mot?
are bits easy n cheap enough to find? what should I look out for particularly, any pitfalls etc. are they ok for newbies to get to grips with? DIY etc. any info about engines, bodywork, interiors etc would be greatly appreciated. If I buy can i get help to fix it up from the site and is there stuff to join?

Thanks in advance for your help
beanerandharry

beanerandharry

Hiya and welcome to the madhouse:D We've been brainstorming of late and come up with this.

http://66.129.69.181/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2086&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=buyers,guide

Don't let it put you off, like any other classic our vans have their problems - it's a matter of how much time and money you want to spend. Enjoy, you'll get loads of advice, if you can post some pics and a good description of the van you're thinking about it would give us a better idea of what it's worth. Generally they range from a few hundred to £4K. Most mechanical bits can be found and our own Woolfie is producing many panels - check out the links on the home page.

'Harvey the RV'

Hi and Welcome. My advice is always buy one with the best bodywork you can. This is the most difficult and time consuming to repair.
Following the link Panky put up, will give lots of advice.
Good look with your search.

welcome aboard. we have not long had our camper - but like you made the switch from tents and totally love our van.

we were lucky we got our van through the forum - thankyou again martin. so felt like we already knew her before she was ours. i am sure what ever you get you will fall in love with and have great fun.

good luck jules

welcome :D as martin says,its mainly rusty body issues that are the biggest problem :( engine parts are no problem,or engine swaps [^] you also have Dozer, one of our mechanical members in your area, to help.like most old vehicles they can eat time/money but are well worth it and soooooo cool [8D]

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off no.3"

Hi and welcome. I am new to the Commer scene whent to one of the meets and it gave me the insperation to get my Commer up and running :D The people on the site are very helpfull and if you get the chance to get to a meet go along (the next one is October)
I am now using my van daily and when you are stuck in traffic you can see the smiles on peoples faces (another good reson to buy one no road rage)It you can tell one end of a spanner from the other (which we all can even the none machanicle people) there is nothing that you cannot achieve (look at Martins Detector van in members rides)insperation for us all :D

Dora and Gloria

Hi Beaner&Harry, Welcome to the forum, good to hear from you :)

Your local '65 sounds interesting - hope the buyers guide gives you an idea of what to look for & if you decide you can tackle its problems, we'll be more than happy to offer moral & technical support where we can - and help source any bits you need.

Commers have their glitches and quirks but so does any classic vehicle, they are also more easily fixed at home compared to the electronic boxed whizz banged modern transport.

Would love to know more about the rough '65 - if you get to give it a good look over - fancy being a roving forum reporter and giving it a write up on here?:p[8D] we might be able to give you an idea of how serious it looks

Bessie - four star commerdation

Back