Head Skimming / Unleaded valve seat conversion

Hi all,

What is considered as a normal amount to skim from a Commer head to improve torque and drivability? And who has had Unleaded valve seats fitted? Do you think it was worth the expense over lead replacement 'jungle juice' ?
Lastly can anyone recommend any particular firm to do this (south Central UK)

Regards

Mike O

Tim would say skim it to death after gas flowing;)
I've stopped using additive after advice from people who have been running classics for years without issue just using straight petrol. Unless you are doing mega mileage or towing a caravan then I wouldn't bother, if it gets to the point where you're running out of adjustment on the valve rockers maybe consider getting them done then - many years down the line.

I have never done the seats on any of mine and would only recommend it if the old ones have burnt out. As Panky, I don't use additive either. Tim's the man for advice on skimming, I think he said 20thou.

I have never done the seats on any of mine and would only recommend it if the old ones have burnt out. As Panky, I don't use additive either. Tim's the man for advice on skimming, I think he said 20thou.

Hi martin,
Did you get your cab carpets yet
Cheers David

I had 60 thou taken off mine some years ago and it made a big difference to power and torque coupled with the HIF44 SU carb conversion.
Tim said to me afterwards that you could probably take 1 mm off without any problem.

I had 60 thou taken off mine some years ago and it made a big difference to power and torque coupled with the HIF44 SU carb conversion.
Tim said to me afterwards that you could probably take 1 mm off without any problem.

60 thou is 1.5 mm, just goes to show how much you can get away with. But don't go mad as the bottom end comes under a lot more strain.

60 thou is 1.5 mm, just goes to show how much you can get away with. But don't go mad as the bottom end comes under a lot more strain.

So you don't use the additive, I've always put the lead replacement in on a fill and its a messy job most of it ends up on your hands. I'd prefer not to use it

Like the idea of skimming the head to increase compression. Porting the head works well too as does a decent manifold.
Have been running Redex, but buy mine at car auto jumbles where they are only £6 a container as apposed to Halfords £15 plus. Not sure I will bother now though

Retro Andy and The Artful Dodger

SU carb conversion and tubular manifolds is the way to go - the difference has to be felt to be believed

That's my route along with a ported head which I will do my self and post some shots when I do and when I get my blurry lens on my iPad fixed! Will need to know details of where I may find the carb conversion.
Signing off but will need advice on engine soon.
Regards

Retro Andy and The Artful Dodge

P.S. What's Face Book?

Back