fan belt

The belt.on my van is too long to be tensioned. The alternator is hitting the chassis!. I need to replace it tomorrow. Is there an alternative modern vehicle I can get one off the shelf for that will fit?

I sorted my garage into 4 piles of stuff.
1. Stuff I`m keeping
2. Stuff I`m not getting rid of.
3. Stuff I might use..one day.
4. Stuff that might come in handy.

Most modern stuff uses ribbed belts. You should be able to sort it easily as they are numbered by the length in MM :)

4650583641_dba2503b41_o.jpg

"You,re only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"

Halfords do have their uses sometimes - like when they have hundreds of different sized belts on display:) Take you old one in and match it up. The Ferodo part number for the belt is VS 965 if that helps.

bth_IMAG0017.jpg

Summer's Coming

That does help. I think it has the wrong one on to start with but you never know

1. Stuff I`m keeping

Exactly the same happend with mine. It was against the chassis so i went and got the next size smaller but it was too small! Turns out it had thr right one on but it had streched so much it was oversize.

I just need a good rootes...

Got one.

1. Stuff I`m keeping

Excellent, for others looking for a new belt which one did you get?

bth_IMAG0017.jpg

Summer's Coming

Unipart GVB 10925

1. Stuff I`m keeping

Wow. I am honoured. Lol.
It's on. I'm not gonna lie and say it fell on though. Had to remove the bolt from the slide adjuster so the alternator was up against the block. The belt was put on the crank and alternator then wound onto water pump pulley by turning the fan. Then I had to bar the alternator to get the bolt back in. Tiny bit more with the bar to tension up then tighten all bolts and hey presto.

1. Stuff I`m keeping

Yeah. It's been a hectic week of ups n downs.

1. Stuff I`m keeping

This is very timely I have just finished my pre holiday service and just finished greasing the nipples and noticed a big split in my belt. I assume the 1500 will use the same one?

Have to get one and fit tomorrow I assume you just manipulate it around the fan to get it on the pulley?

Leaving for Ireland at midnight Sunday!!!!!

Ireland here we come.

6128aeaf-cc3a-4b5a-93a8-9312507c45d9_zps4f2f1694.jpg

Thanks, belt changed now for one that came in a bucket of spares that came with Rupert! Off to halfords tomorrow for a nice new pliable one just in case.

The one I put on is a Chrysler part so I can only imagine the age of it.

Ireland here we come.

6128aeaf-cc3a-4b5a-93a8-9312507c45d9_zps4f2f1694.jpg

Newer than a Commer 0ne then:I ......depends how its been stored I guess! ........we don't really know how long a 'new' one has been stored either..........I just got a 'brand new one' ...it looks ok 'as new' but how old is it? I have no idea? ...............anyways, I hope your trip goes well and make sure you take the camera:p

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''

I changed the belt on my Commer today. The old one was ribbed and it had loads of play in it and was making a right old racket. I bought the new belt off eBay it's not ribbed and it's got Crysler Mopar written on it and fits a treat and was only £5.50 inc postage to boot!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/140956365390?nav=SEARCH

Back