Car Camper 4852 SP

AAA

The work, (and questions) begin!

I have further investigated the temperature gauge problem, (reading in the red, despite everything else seeming fine). I have found the voltage stabiliser floating about on the shelf under the dashboard. Based on the diagram, it looks like the heating element part of it would not be working, (as without it being screwed to the van, this would not earth). This, (hopefully) explains why the temperature gauge climbed steadily and stayed very high during the trip home, (as the battery charged after a long period of little activity and the voltage across the gauge went above 10v)! It worked beautifully as a voltmeter!
SmithsVoltage-02.gif

Parts are beginning to arrive - more deliveries expected today, (including the leathercloth for the front seats)! Lots and lots to keep me busy!
commer3 (1).jpg
IMGP4035.JPG
IMGP4036.JPG

Last edited:
I have now reupholstered the front seat, complete with new seat foams! I had hoped to get the seat frame out and prepped for paint too this weekend, but was held up by sewing machine breakdown! This will now have to wait for next weekend.
IMGP4066.JPGIMGP4086.JPG

The removable section on the backrest is not a headrest as has been previously suggested, but serves two purposes. When removed, the backrest clears the steering wheel and folds flat onto the seat base, the whole seat then tilts forwards to give access to the engine. The section also has to be removed to clear the battery when folding the seat flat to form a double bed!

The replacement leathercloth and piping is an exact colour match to the original, (although looking at the results of sixty years of dirt and age on the exposed bits, this seems hard to believe)!

Last edited:
Any advice on removing the side windows please! I have slackened the screws and it looks to come out as a full section, but it also looks like the front and rear fixed glass sections could be removed separately by drilling out some aluminium pop rivets and undoing a couple of screws holding strengthening brackets to the louvred section on the inside. Any thoughts welcome! I want to avoid putting too much stress on any of it whilst lifting it out and whilst it is out of the van. Thanks!
commer window.jpg

Pretty sure they come out as one piece as I remember being offered a similar set a few years ago that had already been removed.

Reactions: AAA
Back