Battery, battery, gas

I'm having a re-think about Jessica's power situation and would like to put the gas bottles and battery back in the original place and a leisure battery next to them - all under the left hand seat (she's an autosleeper) should I be worried about having the gas and battery in the same compartment? I think this was original fitment, but that doesn't make it right!

So what have you lot got? Where do you put your batteries (leisure and otherwise) and gas bottles?

thanks

Rupert

www.littleyellowcar.co.uk

Bessie got gas bottle & leisure battery in same compartment, and when I first got her jack was loose in there too free to fall across battery terminals at will[:0]. Have moved jack now but happy enough with it otherwise, so much so am putting an extra battery in there. Gas bottle set into well in floor just behind front seats with battery fixed in securely in same long narrow space at opposite end. Would ordinarily offer to photograph it but well buried at the mo due to welding works[B)]

Bessie - four star commerdation

thanks Kes,
thats exactly the configutation I was thinking of for Jessica. Not sure if I'll bother though as she's being a VERY BAD GIRL at the moment [}:)][V]

Rupert

www.littleyellowcar.co.uk

Provided the gas compartment is ventilated to the outside at its lowest point, as gas is heavier than air, you should avoid the build up of an explosive mixture (this is why gas can be a problem on boats [:0][xx(]). However, I would suggest that it is still preferable to avoid a source of ignition. [^]

The early Wanderer had a separate gas compartment under the floor on the offside behind the bulkhead. Access was from a lift up panel in the floor under the seat when as a settee facing inwards, or under your feet if you had the seat in its forward facing position.

'It's not a proper slider'

Harvey's gas bottle is sunk into the floor under the nearside bench and the main battery in a compartment under the front passenger floor. No leisure battery fitted at the mo but but when I do fit one it will be under the bench on the offside well away from the gas bottle, I've seen too many safety videos and alerts involving cylinders [xx(].

'Harvey the RV'

would it not be a good idea to put the battery under the floor nearer the back to help get lower c of g and better weight distribution [?]

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"

quote:
Originally posted by renaultvation

The early Wanderer had a separate gas compartment under the floor on the offside behind the bulkhead. Access was from a lift up panel in the floor under the seat when as a settee facing inwards, or under your feet if you had the seat in its forward facing position.

That sounds like what Bessie has - but lift off panel shares same space as narrow cupboard behind bigger ones formed by seat bases.

Must be a fairly explosive area generally as also contains battery under charge whilst driving[:0]

Bessie - four star commerdation

I have put the leisure battery in the rear cubuard, I bought a battery box of ebay that has a 240v charger built in and is charges of the cigerete lighter when on the move

Hi just continuing this old chain on leisure battery location. Has any got any suggestions and possibly photos of their Autosleeper leisure battery location?

The original battery is in a box under the feet of the passenger in the nearside cab floor. With a lift off wooden lid. Not much room for anything else in there though you may get a charging splitter in with it.
There is a second box for the gas bottle below the seat boxing behind the passenger set and bulkhead. This is connected to an Electrolux gas fridge which does not work and a gas cooker that does. There is room a for a leisure battery in the n/s rear cupboard, but it is long way to the primary battery. I am not sure about a battery in the under seat area because of the gas bottle location.
Any thoughts anyone?
Re the fridge. Are the gas fridges worth repairing/testing or should I switch to electric?

You can get 240v or 12v heater elements (12v for while travelling) for the old Electrolux fridges. I fitted 240v ones to our vans and they work very well, in fact we usually turn them off at night or the milk freezes up. There's usually a tube especially for the heaters along side the gas one so they are dead easy to fit and pretty cheap.

I guess reg the gas it’s to do with how you camp, gas was for the days when campsites had limited hook ups and for wild camping, if you wild camp/non hook up for more than a night or so you’ll ideally need gas or a solar setup and a low powered fridge. The other option is to take ice blocks and keep switching them in the campsite freezer. At the moment we’re just running a cheap Halfords cool box off solar/batt in the day (this sunny weather is making around 5.5amps an hour) but switching it off later at night and using ice blocks - the cool box draws about 3.5-4 amps and I don’t want to damage the leisure battery

Back