'66 Commer Walk Thru Project

CommerWalkThru

Hi and thanks for the welcome...
Yes my dad drove Walk-Thru's every day for years back in the 70's for Corona lemonade and he said even new Diesel or Petrol they were never going to set any land speed records.
Ive taken quite a few pictures at the weekend and will try to post them up tomorrow when I'm back in work...as computers ain't my strong point...
From what ive managed to find out...they did make a few 1600 versions in the early days of production...but haven't been able to check for any possible markings on engine.
Paul.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
That certainly looks like the old Hawk engine but I thought it was only produced in 2.2 litre capacity. You live and learn.
Great van by the way:cool:

renaultvation

It is a Commer tradition to give your van a name, often inspired by the number plate. I notice yours may have an affinity to a
particular Winnie-the-pooh character, who sits in a gloomy place!
latest

CommerWalkThru

It is a Commer tradition to give your van a name, often inspired by the number plate. I notice yours may have an affinity to a
particular Winnie-the-pooh character, who sits in a gloomy place!
latest
Hi. Never thought of that on the number plate...but certainly sitting in a gloomy place in deepest Essex. Hopefully get the restoration started soon and it wont turn out to be too much of a donkey...

commer walk thru

Just having a look on here for first time in a while... One simple improvement I did to my Walk Thru was to change the 6.50 tyres to 7.50's - made quite a bit of difference and could hit 70mph quite easily (cruising around 65 usually). Engine is the 4.236 Perkins diesel, so coped with th bigger diameter.

CommerWalkThru

Next time im up the yard/workshop, I will have a look as the van came with quite a lot of spares and their was a diff amonst them.

S0updragon

Hi. Never thought of that on the number plate...but certainly sitting in a gloomy place in deepest Essex. Hopefully get the restoration started soon and it wont turn out to be too much of a donkey...
What’s wrong with a donkey lol. They may be a bit odd looking, slow, very stubborn and kick off every now and again but they can be very friendly, hard working, very tough and can quite easly plod along all day. And they tend to poo(h) in the corner of their stable :)

commer walk thru

commer walk thru have you still got your van? Have read your earlier post,though some of them date back a while.
Yes, still got it, tho haven't driven it properly for a very long time, so it's been parked up under some arches. Now with the new MOT regs and kids being a bit older, I'm thinking I can park it on the road and spend some time on it.
If you need any spares, give me a shout and I'll see if I've got anything - I bought a pallet load years ago and there's quite a few bits for the petrol vans that I don't need - I've just moved warehouse, so going to gradually work thro and get rid of what I don't need.

CommerWalkThru

Yes, still got it, tho haven't driven it properly for a very long time, so it's been parked up under some arches. Now with the new MOT regs and kids being a bit older, I'm thinking I can park it on the road and spend some time on it.
If you need any spares, give me a shout and I'll see if I've got anything - I bought a pallet load years ago and there's quite a few bits for the petrol vans that I don't need - I've just moved warehouse, so going to gradually work thro and get rid of what I don't need.
That's good to hear you've still got it. Mines been parked up in the same spot for over a year now, though funnily enough the guy who's doing the work on it for me has said he is going to crack on this very week and start sanding the body done.
Thanks for letting me know about the spares you have, and it goes without saying if you need anything give me a shout also as ive a fair few bits and pieces. Where abouts are you based? I live in Brentwood Essex and the van is stored 15 minutes away.
Hopefully we can both get our vans back out on the road in the near future.

commer walk thru

I'm over in Bristol, so a fair way...
Just having a look at your pictures - is it definitely a '62 model? The indicators are set on the front wing, nearer to the headlights - I thought they were only like that on the later (70s) vans? The earlier ones had the indicators set up by the small, quarter type windows, it's about the one (visual) change they made to the Walk Thru over the years and I know of another ('76) van that suddenly became a 1964 vintage overnight (when the tax laws were different!).
I'll try to get a look at some of my spares this week - I've got around 5 different, unused drive shafts, plus some petrol engine bits and pieces.

commer walk thru

Found this http://www.bobine.nl/turner/01-general-information/triplex-glass-manufacturing-date-codes/ which might be useful... If you've got the chassis plate, then you can try Renault Trucks to find out more about when the van was made as well - I did this on mine and found out the day when it came off the production line.
I'm guessing this might help to identify the engine as well - might have a different one to standard fitted?
How's it going with the work?