6 speed gearbox conversion

OnTheRoadAgain

As the latest member of Tim's club the bottom lines are a) I can overtake and b) until I calibrate it I can assure you that I am doing at least 85mph because that's what the speedo tells me!

commerchris

Staff member
tim excellent work !! can you tell what the advantages are ....top speed better ....rev better ....acc. better ?
milage better ? I would like to know ....I'm still thinking about changing the engine all together with a matching transmission out of a newer Van or car ...but this might be the golden ticket ;)
BUMP Mr Racer I think you may have missed this post?

commeracer

Ooops, yes i did :oops:

Taller 1st, a gear between 3rd-4th and o/d top. Acceleration is much better as is economy and noise levels. Long term reliability should be much better too, it's a very strong well engineered box.

Doug

I've just read this whole thread from start to finish. I just wanted to say... mr commeracer (Tim): you, sir, are an utter legend. This is amazing work!
We'll be looking tomagic up an o/d gear of some sort and this looks like striking gearbox-gold.

Dinesh C

Well .... awesome effort..

In our country we do things differently.
1st Step - select a gear box that can be fixed to the exiting bell housing with use of additional plate.
2nd step - measure and cut (using conical or V cut) the top shaft of existing gear box and bud that with a mating cut of the other gear box top shaft and weld and machined.
3rd step - do adjust and modify the mounting of new gear box to fix on the vehicle.
4th step - make and modify the linkage

bazzateer

Met a chap called Dave at the Chiltern Hills Vintage Vehicle Rally last month who was up from Southampton. Turns out he's the chap with the Arrows Sunbeam Rapier which Tim fitted a Lexus 6 speed to a few years ago. He's very pleased with it. Might get one fitted to the Vogue one day.

commerchris

Staff member
Met a chap called Dave at the Chiltern Hills Vintage Vehicle Rally last month who was up from Southampton. Turns out he's the chap with the Arrows Sunbeam Rapier which Tim fitted a Lexus 6 speed to a few years ago. He's very pleased with it. Might get one fitted to the Vogue one day.
You only just met Dave?
Where have you been....