1966 wilsons of london Number 3 commer walkthru

Kellscrayand

I have just come across this and it's in very reasonable condition , owned by a 80 year old commercial mechanic in Fife Scotland. I am after information and help in assertaining what a realistic value the vehicle would have. I am considering purchasing myself but might also list here for other potential buyers. History I currently know is , number 3 of what he believes was only 7 made by Wilson's of Brixton London, it was petrol and he installed a commer diesel motor into it. Drove Scotland to Wales in it and then been lying in garage for years on axle stands. As far as I'm aware it's all more than there and needs some tlc and would be a cracking vehicle. Anyway all interest and help grately appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Madhouse:)
Sounds very interesting. I'm assuming, if it was converted by Wilsons, that it's a motor caravan and the only ones I know were magnificent beasts - but I thought there were only two made.

Does it look anything like this?

36MaROP.jpg

I shall upload some photos tomorrow, haven't taken any yet but he is fairly sure he was told it was 3 of 7. He mentioned the number being stamped on rear and I have seen 2 brass plates ,on either side with Wilson's.

Further information, now fitted with a Perkins 634 diesel engine, replacing a 6 cyl Humber super snipe. Owner bought around 1974 . Was owned by someone and registered in Ireland then sold to someone else in Scotland whom current owner bought from in 74 who was supposed to 're register in UK but didn't. Current owner was given q plate as they then would not supply a document without the chassis number. He couldn't find it. He said the number 3 0ff came from it had adventurer 3 painted on back. I am attaching pics .

Attachments

• 20190110_091121.jpg
    20190110_091121.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190110_091118.jpg
    20190110_091118.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190110_091046.jpg
    20190110_091046.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20190110_091030.jpg
    20190110_091030.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190110_083202.jpg
    20190110_083202.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190110_083103.jpg
    20190110_083103.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190108_114944.jpg
    20190108_114944.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
So I am now personally thinking if only 2 made ,and with the colour match to original in pic you sent me ,this is a real piece of British motoring history. I'm very excited

I'm pretty sure there were only two. One was a prototype (the blue and white one) and the other built for the Wilsons for their personal use (the one in the article) But my memory is hazy on this, and I've been known to be wrong before:rolleyes:, so there could have been a third one. Alan Kirtley (Beachboy on here) used to own the blue and white one and he is sure to know more but I don't think he comes on here much. If you're on Facebook you could contact him through the Classic Camper Clubs page, he is one of the admins on there and is a regular contributor.

Thanks, I don't do Facebook as don't agree with there sharing policy. Could be the very one in article then judging by the colour.Well thanks very much for all your help. I shall keep you informed of matters.

Latest is I bought the whole buisness with the commer , quite a few things to sort out within the premises before I start the commer but I can't wait to get started. Thanks again for all your help.

Latest is I bought the whole buisness with the commer , quite a few things to sort out within the premises before I start the commer but I can't wait to get started. Thanks again for all your help.

That's an amazing story. Congratulations on your find. We'll look forward to seeing at a meet sometime.

Yes I got the Bailey, there's a Jensen Healey,a Mazda mx5,various welders diesel power washer various engines all tools,car scissor ramp the land and building. I bought the lot and Mr Willie Drummond is now retired.

Are you going to keep the business going? Is it a restoration business or repair garage.

I shall be keeping as a garage business but more for myself. My first priority is the commer once I have cleared my feet of all the other stuff around it and got the place set up as I require. Place needs a lot done but will be pretty cool once finished, its called shore garage as only a few hundred yards from the sea and as it came with land I shall purchase a very large mobile home and place at side , happy days . currently putting my own home now up for sale to fund . I am a mechanic ex army and my son currently doing very well with land rover who shall inherit. So lots of work and I,m really happy.

Back