phantomrose1999

Just acquired a old ABC Television van, been sitting on a farm for quite a while, but overall not too bad. No idea if it runs, but it is in the queue for tinkering.

KAL4023
LBS 10,000

It has dual wheels, a 4 speed manual, and a humber super snipe 6 cylinder engine

Weather in Melbourne is so cold and miserable, was 0 this morning, and now 4c !!

Attachments

• van 2.jpg
    van 2.jpg
    974.8 KB · Views: 13
  • van 7.jpg
    van 7.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 13
  • van 10.jpg
    van 10.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 12
  • van 13.jpg
    van 13.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 13
  • van 15.jpg
    van 15.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 13
  • van 17.jpg
    van 17.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 13
Spent a while today freeing the rear drums so I can move it around.

Why is the RL wheel a left hand thread ? Spent so long trying to get it off with a 1600nm rattle gun !

How to get the drums off pls ? Would love a manual in these

There's lots of Walk-Thru resources in the download section on the home page.
Scroll down a bit to find them

Great looking van! Similar amount of work to what I'm doing.... Going to replace the sheet metal with galvanised on mine, so won't rust.

Re: thread - yes, done opposite ways to forward motion to help keep the wheels on - had similar issue trying to change a wheel when away, couldn't understand why the nuts wouldn't budge and ended up breaking the socket arm!

Couple of manuals on UK ebay, if that helps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15503208...lRaSPQQ93YVPwWdfYoB9Z2xxOBuA|tkp:BFBM2rmQ6Ldg

Great looking van! Similar amount of work to what I'm doing.... Going to replace the sheet metal with galvanised on mine, so won't rust.

Re: thread - yes, done opposite ways to forward motion to help keep the wheels on - had similar issue trying to change a wheel when away, couldn't understand why the nuts wouldn't budge and ended up breaking the socket arm!

Couple of manuals on UK ebay, if that helps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155032082352?hash=item2418a1d7b0:g:JmgAAOSw5HNio37C&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4L6Ge7WCZmh93I4g45DAoTvPiNOJCP7JDpa+8zR3e1Joh24Oq5bll9gYW4mtdB+fY5DdsQD7IhdiHOO5IEkeJcIk9hBZGvu26zFO6S5JyDbk6FBm+7plbUZ6bFjthO3d2uAmWxv/UoTi7egUY7ndktwq4ag8A7ccwukdLyMFCKGT5aCYKiIDX1EGjkhp9I8S1RZKnXx1bYq3o7DuuAC45DWpxA3K6Jaag4KPuHJ+MWstD+Zq5lKouuChgDGB8EHYKHcuSuf6lScFf8T6lRaSPQQ93YVPwWdfYoB9Z2xxOBuA|tkp:BFBM2rmQ6Ldg

Saw those great manuals, but the postage to Australia is 43 pounds !!

Also glad it was not only me that had issues getting the left rear wheel off, just by accident the impact gun was in tighter and then the nuts came off in a second. But i am still not sure if the drums should come off after the wheel is removed, like a normal 70's style car ? Even after reading the manuals on this site, i am not clear.

There's lots of Walk-Thru resources in the download section on the home page.
Scroll down a bit to find them

Great !!! thank you, have gone through all of them and its a great source of info.

Last edited:
Saw those great manuals, but the postage to Australia is 43 pounds !!

Also glad it was not only me that had issues getting the left rear wheel off, just by accident the impact gun was in tighter and then the nuts came off in a second. But i am still not sure if the drums should come off after the wheel is removed, like a normal 70's style car ? Even after reading the manuals on this site, i am not clear.
That's a fair bit, isn't it, although at least they're not asking too much for them - some of the stuff on ebay gets a bit ridiculous at times...

I'm sure the drums just slide off - I haven't done this for over 10 years, so my memory isn't good on this, but I don't think anything different. I guess they're just stuck on.

Your van is different to the UK ones, I think, as the front grill style is usually for the (bigger) diesel engines, but it looks like they've done this to allow space for the two big fans you've got for the hotter climate.

And this one only £16 for the postage
Great !! bought it !!! love manuals, the illustrations are just so beautiful. Also bought some sales brochures on these vans, but its taking for every to come from the UK...

Back