Propshaft yoke - slight damage

Hi All,

While trying to remove the universal joint we overdid it a bit with the press, forcing the uj into the casting of the yoke.

Photos attached.

Should we just file it back to where it should be or admit defeat and find/buy a new yoke?

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN2088.JPG
    DSCN2088.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2087.JPG
    DSCN2087.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Personally I'd get the Dremmel in and clean it up. It's at the diff end so shouldn't cause any ballance problems.
You shouldn't need a press to get it apart, I've always used the hide hammer method - or in one extreme case I drilled through the end cap and drifted the opposite one out through the grease drilling.

Thanks for that Panky, probably worrying too much as it's a learning curve for me with van

The caps pushed through but really didn't want to come out, we got there in the end though. Now all rustproofed and ready to go back together with new UJs :)

Personally I wouldn't use a Dremel. I would just clean off any burrs, BUT NO MORE, with a file, leaving the original surface between the damage untouched. The new cap must be an interference fit in the yoke, or it will rotate and wear the yoke very quickly. (I've got one of those here!) You could probably achieve the same result by pressing an old cap right through the journal sharp edge first, scraping out any burrs. It'll be OK!

Oh, and if all else fails, you can get new yokes from HJ Chard engineering in Bristol. They've got all sorts on the shelf.

I meant only using Dremmel to remove the burrs but a file would do.
I likes me Dremmel:)

I thought a dremmel had to be for everything first until you realise that the proper tool should be used :):)

Back