Electric Fuel Pump

Thinking about fitting an electric fuel pump[ (facet solid state 1.5-4 PSI) and wanted to check details. Would the best place to put it be by tank? Although it will be exposed to the elements underneath. If pressure regulator sited under bonnet, would it suffer from vapour lock or wouldn't there enough petrol in there to cause this? Should the pump be wired through relay? if not, is taking supply from ignition side of fuse box OK if through its own fuse. I know I will have to fit inertia switch in supply to pump, but will this take the load if no relay fitted? (pump draws less than 2 amps).

You should't need a regulator as that seems to be a low pressure pump. Probably low down on the number plate panel would be a good place to fit it or make a bracket that picks up a tank mounting bolt. A relay is always a good idea but at 2 amps not really necessary, a switch in the supply would also act as an imobiliser.

I’ve got the same facet on mine and don’t run a regulator and is from me on an SU carb. Mounted mine to a chassis rail couple of feet from tank at a 45 degree angle and run it from the coil directly. Have an inertia switch from a kit car that was £10 off eBay second hand but good quality

I have an electric pump mounted and it works fine without a regulator. I mounted it next to the engine for ease of access/maintenance and used an old TR6 inertia switch. An unforeseen (to me anyway) advantage of it is that it does away with that 5 seconds of cranking involved on a cold start when the fuel has drained back into the tank as fuel is obviously pumped in on ignition.

Back