Carry On Commer..

Hello All..
I thought it was time to attempt again to upload some pics of
the Pb Autosleeper that I have been restoring for the last 6 months..
I rescued the van from a garden late last September, where it had stood for the last 9 years.. It was in a bit of a state, But after squirting a little diesel down the pots to ease things up, and fitting a new set of points, fresh petrol etc, it fired up.. So I knew the big job was the bodywork..
Fortunatly I am a fabricator of sorts and have been lucky enough to be able to make all the panels myself ( some easy, some V hard (rear corners are a Bst**d) ). I am now in the stage of refitting after months of late nights and weekends metal bashing, and prepping for the re spray, I hope for it to be on the road again in May ??
Just like to add my thanks to fellow Commer loon, Rob Smith for the G box and advice.
And to my mates for the cracks about Carry on Camping, and the Sid James mask..
I will add some more pics as it comes together..
Cheers all ..
Will J..
( Sid James, R.I.P. )
commerfound.jpg
DSC00508.jpg
DSC00603.jpg
DSC00620.jpg

wow, great work; leaped ahead of our project; but inspiring to see a lovely new shiny paint job!

I would really like to know whether you could fabricate just one area I need, however its a lot like the rear quarters; my front part (that curves in two directions) needs replacing!

Hello all..
Thanks for the comments on my project, and I wish you all the best with yours..
I have a good mate who sprays all vehicles from classics to vans etc, so no, I cannot
take the credit for the paint work Simon..
My mate is Paul, At Grosvenor body shop, 01902 404489. He is based
near Wolverhampton, and has a large spray booth.
( sorry for the shameless plug, but he has been a great help over the years that I have known him..)
As for your front panel John, I am sure I could do somthing, But
you would have to bring the van to Wolverhampton..As the only way is
to cut out the old lower valance just under the bottom swage, and then cut, roll & weld a new formed one in place.
I did mine O.K. But my cousin did a better job of his using a different method.
He has also made the lower air cutout into a flat oval, It looks good
but he it not fussed with original detail.. I must upload some
pics of his van..
Cheers all..
Will J.. ( anyone remember Hattie Jacques ? COR !! )
Carry on Commer !

Back