Bed size

G&G

This is my first post so, “Hi” from us both.
We’ve just been to Moffat Vintage Rally and are talking (again) about a Commer Highwayman Campervan. Kinda fell in love with them at the 2016 show!
We need a bit of advice about the interior. We have a 6’ bed at home and our modern Bessacarr motor home has a fixed rear bed which we find TINY. How big are the beds in a Commer? Or can we adapt the layout without compromising the vintage interior and structure?
We met some awesome people at the show. A real friendly bunch.
Thanks in advance
Gill & Graham

Hi and welcome. :) Sorry I can’t answer that as I have an Autosleeper. But I am 6ft2 and can lie flat at a bit of a diagonal not that’s much help :rolleyes:

Reactions: G&G
Hi and welcome to the Madhouse:)
We were at the show so hope fully we were amonget the awesome ones. Highwayman beds are fairly unique and are bigger the most, the main bed is 6'6" long I think. The bed in our Jenings is about 6'2" and in an Auto-Sleeper panel van conversion about 6 feet.
Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome to the Madhouse:)
We were at the show so hope fully we were amonget the awesome ones. Highwayman beds are fairly unique and are bigger the most, the main bed is 6'6" long I think. The bed in our Jenings is about 6'2" and in an Auto-Sleeper panel van conversion about 6 feet.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for this it’s helpful. How wide is the bed though? Is it a standard double or 5 foot wide which is king sized. Our bed at home is super king ( 6 foot wide) so we can accommodate 2 dogs at our feet!
Not so bothered about the length as we are both under 6’ unlike my youngest son who is 6’6”. At 12 years of age I swapped his single bed for a bigger one as he was so tall. I had to buy him a king size as they are 6’6” long and a standard double is only 6’ long!!! I was really brassed off knowing I’d have to wash the bigger duvet set every week so husband suggested I knock a hole in the wall and shove his ‘ead in it!! :p:p

I would say the highwayman one is the widest, the one in our Jenings is just over 4 feet wide, the Auto-Sleeper is a little bit less so less than a standard double. I haven't got a tape measure with me but I'll check when we get home - unless some one can do it sooner.

I would say the highwayman one is the widest, the one in our Jenings is just over 4 feet wide, the Auto-Sleeper is a little bit less so less than a standard double. I haven't got a tape measure with me but I'll check when we get home - unless some one can do it sooner.
Thank you @Panky :)

Thank you for this it’s helpful. How wide is the bed though? Is it a standard double or 5 foot wide which is king sized. Our bed at home is super king ( 6 foot wide) so we can accommodate 2 dogs at our feet!
Not so bothered about the length as we are both under 6’ unlike my youngest son who is 6’6”. At 12 years of age I swapped his single bed for a bigger one as he was so tall. I had to buy him a king size as they are 6’6” long and a standard double is only 6’ long!!! I was really brassed off knowing I’d have to wash the bigger duvet set every week so husband suggested I knock a hole in the wall and shove his ‘ead in it!! :p:p
A slight tangent, when I was bed hunting decades ago I discovered Scandinavians make longer beds. Back then Ikea made a long double.

I've had superking sized beds for 25 years, won't buy anything else.
From memory the larger Highwayman bed is about 4.5 or 5 feet wide.

Welcome to the mad house. I was at Moffat but unfortunately had my post bus and pickup with me So no beds. The pickup pulls a party trailer tent. Great weekend. Can’t wait till next year.:):):)

Back