Advice on 1971 Commer camper

Cathy

I've inherited an orange/white 1725 cc camper, J reg. Unfortunately it's been exposed to the elements for several years and now needs serious restoration. I hold my hands up and admit I'm unsure where to turn. I refuse to scrap it, and would love to see it back on the road. Please can someone advise me about whether and/or how it can be restored? To do what's best for this van? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 45
Hi and welcome. Parts and panel availability is top notch via Martin Maltas (commervanspares). He has stopped doing restorations though. I'm sure somebody would take on the task. I wouldn't expect it doing for pennies though.
Btw... we like pictures of Van's...

Hi Cathy and welcome :)
Hopefully the circumstances surrounding your inheritance weren't to painful for you and maybe you can repay the trust given to you when the van was passed on.
As Paul says please put some pics up to give us a better idea on your van's condition and what camper conversion you've actually got - inside and out and underneath if possible too. Parts and panels are not a problem but even though, to some, these are just old vans they take as much work (probably more) that any other vehicle to restore - I guess it depends on how far you want to go.

Hi and welcome. You won’t be stuck for any advice during the project as the folks on here are very helpful and knowledgeable. Budget will decide how far you go really

Hi Cathy and welcome :)
Hopefully the circumstances surrounding your inheritance weren't to painful for you and maybe you can repay the trust given to you when the van was passed on.
As Paul says please put some pics up to give us a better idea on your van's condition and what camper conversion you've actually got - inside and out and underneath if possible too. Parts and panels are not a problem but even though, to some, these are just old vans they take as much work (probably more) that any other vehicle to restore - I guess it depends on how far you want to go.
Such a lovely response from you guys, thank you. I've taken some pictures and I'll take some from underneath when I've cleared the detritus. Also, a photo of how the beautiful vehicle was 10 years or so ago. Such a shame and a sin that it was so neglected. I've been told the worst corrosion is the A post. Thank you so much for your advice. I'd love to see the van back on the road if possible. Do you want pictures of the dash etc. too?

Attachments

• IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 36
It's a Wanderer :)
Very popular conversion and rightly so, they are excellent. The screen surround does look rather flaky and obvious rust elsewhere but definitely savable - we've seen much worse. These are also prone to rusting out along the roof edge, where the pop top meets the roof panel. The good news is Martin Maltas will be able to make all the panels you need, I've had a couple of his screen surround repair panels and they are a great fit.
Interested to see what the underside is like, and pictures of the front door steps would be useful too please.

Hi Cathy and welcome aboard. I'm sure it does feel like a mine field at the moment but like everyone else is saying all the rusty bits can be cut out and refitted with excellent hand made panels by Martin. I don't think there's many of us on the forum that haven't had to use any during there ownership of a commer van and we will all agree they make life a lot easier as they fit beautifully. If you're not up for doing it yourself I would advise to do a bit of ground work trying to find a decent fabricator who has some experience with older vehicles. It might be worth putting it through an mot so you know exactly what your up against. Advise will be on tap from all of us so don't worry your not alone.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Every time I get a window to take more photos, it rains! I'll try this afternoon!

Hi Cathy, it seems I may be local to you I'm in Exeter. If you wanted someone to have at look at your van I'd be willing too. Not has expert as most of the guys on here, really more of a J4vanfan (am I aloud to do that?) but I do have one.

That would be amazing, Iain. I've been struggling to get photos of underneath etc. I'm off in Norway this week, but I'll be in touch next week if that's good with you. Thank you.

Back