Meet Ted

Just a little update. After running around for a few days, including the drive over to Manchester today, I've come to the conclusion that the improvement is a lot better than my initial impressions. Tootling about the mean streets of Widnes is a lot smoother and pulling away at crawling speed in second results in much less hesitation and fewer rattles from the loose bits in the car (even though I'm running a 3.7 diff). Cruising down the motorway was also a lot quieter and a steady 65 seemed a perfect speed for the car with the occasional squirt to nip past slower traffic resulted in a nice surge to get me through, none of Ted's characteristic little misses that used to be present at higher speeds either. All in all a very worthwhile upgrade, even better than I first thought :)
I guess the lesson learned is not to judge a mod to the car by one blast along the by-pass :rolleyes:

I've been meaning to do this for ages but finally got one of these of Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331517865850?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Although not original looking (have you seen the price of them :eek: ) it works just as well and is quite discrete. The inlet is the same size as the connection on the 'chimney' and the outlet is a nice snug fit on the tube to the carb, I only had re-enforced plastic tube that was big enough to go on but I'll see if I can find a short piece of suitable black hose to finish it off. The seat isn't spring loaded and the PCV needs to be mounted vertically so will need a bit more thought on a Commer engine.

Advantages are it still draws off the engine fumes at higher revs but has little effect on the mixture at idle, as the PCV closes under low vacuum, so the mixture can be wound back a bit - I think I got that right ;)

Don't really go fast enough or far enough for it to make any noticeable difference, whistles a bit though;)

Maybe a Spacevan program:cool:

When I did fitted the 12G940 head I used a Mini combined manifold so I could fit the 1 1/2" SU, but the exhaust outlet was only 1 1/4" so I had to reduce the neck of the new exhaust I fitted - which defeated the object of the exercise somewhat. I already had a Mini Spares ally inlet and recently bagged a bargain Midget exhaust manifold off eBay so I was running out of excuses :) So I spent a bit of time fiddling.

Midget manifold cleaned up and painted

In place with modified down pipe

A new cast clamp is on the way to replace the crappy pressed steel thing

PCV fitted to cut down servo take-off pipe

How it was with Mini manifolds

Not taken him for a run yet as the engine wouldn't start, turned out to be the bullet connection pulled out on the wiring to the electronic dizzy. When he did start engine sounded well with no leaks but may need to adjust things with the new manifold and re-positioning of the PCV.

After a couple of weeks faffing about with gearboxes Ted has finally made it back onto the road :D
While he was languishing in the garage the cast clamp arrived for the down pipe.

20160927_132343.jpg

So today was the first chance I got to try the new manifolds out and it's a big success, he fair whips along :) Before he would put fine up to about 3500 revs but struggle to get beyond 4000 because of the manifold resriction - now he will rev cleanly up to 5500 and keeps going, and that's pulling a 3.7 final drive, but I chickened out as It's only a standard 1098 with a1275 Cooper head and I didn't want to break anything. Most chuffed

lovely... Really want to do the manifold on the commer if I get some money and time...really feels strangled at 3500 too, not sure if it's air or the exhaust. Need to get it on a rolling road once its run in to see what happening (hoping that'll help me to)!

running a stainless 1 3/4 pipe but in a standard alloy manifold

Harvey has got the twin down pipe manifold, which Tim did some work on, and he will rev all the way to the red line (Harvey not Tim;)) What carb needle are you running ?

Try some EP90 gear oil in the carb dash pot, it could be the carb piston is rising too quickly and giving a weak mixture. Failing that file a little flat on the shank of the needle to make it richer at small openings.

the needle was a custom one made by a guru but that was before rebuild...should still be ok though I recon. Still want to go on the road again with the rebuild

erremmm... Can't remember. It rev lovely and quick stationary just under load. I'll sort it out just tweaks I think keeping it easy until run in

All this engine stuff that you do Panky just amazes and baffles me!
Great work as always.

Back