Chough Hunting

As my house insurance would be invalid if I posted on here when we were going to be away from home, well now we're back home I can safely say we've been away............

We were missing my favourite part of the world, so on Thursday nice and early we drove down to West Cornwall, via some business and social in Tavistock. Ended up at Hayle which has the most amazing beach.

2016_0523Cornwall0001.JPG

Or would have:-
a) If it wasn't raining.
and
b) If there wasn't a very high tide going on.

That's St Ives in the distance through the murk.

On to a moist deserted camp site at Treave, between Penzance and Land's End.

2016_0523Cornwall0003.JPG

Weather a bit better on Friday for Cape Cornwall. We don't bother with Lands End, this is much nicer, and just as easy to believe you're at the end of the world. The Torrey Canyon is out there somewhere.

2016_0523Cornwall0005.JPG

This is where the hunt for the elusive Cornish Chough begins. It's a sort of Crow type bird with orange beak and legs, lives on the cliffs, and makes a sort of creaking noise. A few years ago we spotted several around Cape Cornwall.

2016_0523Cornwall0007.JPG

Guess which way the wind blows round here?

Friday night at a Camp site near St Just. Absolutely slashed with rain, and blown by a full gale. But we were safe and warm in our Commer.

Saturday, on to My favourite place in the whole universe. That's the cliffs at Botallack, where man's pioneering endeavours meet the sea.

2016_0523Cornwall0016.JPG

I have been going there since long before it was a location for the Poldark series, but the location fees have funded a big programme of work. Amongst other things going on, someone is turning this pile of unpromising rocks........................

2016_0523Cornwall0010.JPG

into this....................

2016_0523Cornwall0011.JPG

Here at Levant mine, there's a working Cornish beam engine. Turns out that the guy who demonstrates it is an aquaintance of mine from a former life in Tavistock. Small world.

On to Newlyn. Still a working fishing port.

2016_0523Cornwall0021.JPG

Fish and chips down at the harbour here, as good as any we've ever had.

Saturday night at a clifftop Camp site at Treen. Fabulous views, and just round the corner from Porthcurnow, where all the undersea telegraph cables come into a small hut on the beach. It's an amazing experience to see cables labelled "Gibraltar" "New York" etc. The British Telecom Museum there is well worth a visit, a real eye opener. More Cornish pioneering.

More tomorrow.............

What a lovely part of the world and good to see the fruits of your labour is paying off:)
Great pics too, thanks for sharing

I think it's worth it:)
Just had a thought (dangerous I know) How come if someone posts holiday pics on here everyone is choughed (see what I did there) but if you see the same sort of thing any other time then it's snoozville:rolleyes:

Love the photos.. We visit Cornwall a lot too, lovely down there:)
We also visit cheddar in Somerset alot there's a very nice little site called cheddar camp. Would suit a commer meet very nicely..

It's not that big we could have the whole site, a lovely oldish lady owns it!!

Just looked and cheddar camp has changed its name to mendip camp.. Even got a website now, very posh :cool:

http://www.mendipcamp.co.uk

What a great trip:), although the weather was not ideal, its my favorite type of camping;) with very few others willing to brave the elements and deserted campsites:D. lovely.

The pics make me very homesick, its been a while since ive been back. And its great to see photos of places not crowded with people. Well done:cool:

I think it's worth it:)
Just had a thought (dangerous I know) How come if someone posts holiday pics on here everyone is choughed (see what I did there) but if you see the same sort of thing any other time then it's snoozville:rolleyes:

Its a Commer thing Panky,

I spent nearly every year of my childhood in and around Cornwall it has a magical allure. Love the photos. Botallack is straight on my to do whilst in Cornwall list :)

Love the photos.. We visit Cornwall a lot too, lovely down there:)
We also visit cheddar in Somerset alot there's a very nice little site called cheddar camp. Would suit a commer meet very nicely..

It's not that big we could have the whole site, a lovely oldish lady owns it!!

Just looked and cheddar camp has changed its name to mendip camp.. Even got a website now, very posh :cool:

http://www.mendipcamp.co.uk

That site looks like a perfect stop off on the way down for us:)

OK, I promised you more, but I'll try to go easy on the holiday snaps. Wake up at the back there Panky.

Sunday. Trying to get some value from my new National Trust membership at St. Michaels Mount. Swarming with coachloads of tourists. Unique but overrated IMHO. A good insight into how you might live if you could afford a private island and a couple of dozen private staff. It does have an interesting ancient connection with Mont St. Michel in Brittany though.

On to the Lizard. I admit to some snoozing on the beach. Sunday night "Britstop" behind the Lion and Lamb pub in Ashton. The thing about parking up in pub carparks is you don't have to drive.

Monday to Coverack via Satellite Earth Station Goonhilly. More Cornish pioneering, this was where the first television pictures via satellite were received from the USA. Hey, it's a good job we don't need one of these for Sky Sports innit.

2016_0523Cornwall0033.JPG

Unfortunately the visitor centre is closed at the moment for refurbishment. Damn!

Coverack.......................

2016_0523Cornwall0037.JPG

................is an idillic fishing village now sadly mostly holiday homes. Round this side of the Lizard it is so much more sheltered than the Atlantic side. Just look at those waves!:) There were Gannets diving into the sea, an amazing sight, but still no Choughs:( That's just an ordinary shitehawk flying past.
Up on the cliffs there is Terence Coventry's sculpture park with free access from the South West Coast Path.

2016_0523Cornwall0042.JPG

Camped Monday night at Zoar campsite.

2016_0523Cornwall0043.JPG

Here we are in the setting sun. The full moon rose bright orange in a cloudless sky.

The site is small with very limited facilities, but a lovely spot right opposite a fuel and repair garage, making it ideal for a Commer gathering too. How about Autumn. If anyone's interested, I could approach the owners to find out. They are trying to rebuild the business so might go for it.

So that was it. Homeward on Tuesday, and back to what I call work. No Choughs though.:(

I want to be back on the road.:rolleyes:

Lovely picture, hopefully go there one year. Just wondering - have the wheels been banded on the van? Look fatter, if so by how much?

We took a few days recently to revisit some of our favourite haunts in Cornwall. The forecast was a yellow warning for severe weather, so we were looking forward to some serious waves. We even opted to stay at Coverack, on the sheltered side of the Lizard to avoid getting blown away. The storm never happened, so we had Fish and Chips on Coverack Harbour.

IMG_2740.JPG

In the car park at Sennen Cove we saw Cornish Choughs without getting out of the van. They wouldn't let me photograph them though.

IMG_2745.JPG

We stayed at the very popular camp site at Treen, where you can't book ahead, so to avoid disappointment we only go out of season. The coast path is a short walk from the site. Here the sun is setting behind us and the last rays are shining on the cliffs.

IMG_2748.JPG

The site is just around the corner from Porthcurno. This unimpressive little hut down by the beach, built in 1929 is one of the most interesting buildings in Cornwall, and I just have to look in every time I'm passing....................

IMG_2758.JPG

Inside the hut...........................

IMG_2756.JPG

..................telegraph cables go to all parts of the world, including Gibraltar and New York. When they were first used, they cut the time taken to send messages from Bombay to London from 8 weeks to 9 minutes. People on Porthcurno beach may not realise that all these cables are just under the sand.......................

IMG_2757.JPG

Then back to Botallack where I have never seen the sea so calm and blue.

IMG_2761.JPG

We kept on finding film crews filming the next series of Poldark, but tried to ignore them.

That's Cornwall done for another year then.

What an amazing place, beautiful:cool:
That hut contains one of the first information super highways, well busy dual carriage way maybe:)

Back