Van going great until I'm driving in towns thru traffic then is losing fuel cutting out?

tylerbobbo

I removed the airbox assembly and the engine started and ran much better. It looks as though I need to adjust the carb settings - I have downloaded an instruction sheet on the Weber so will give it a go. Unfortunately, it states that the choke as to be closed to carry out adjustments but the engine won't run without the choke partially open so it looks like a case of trial and error. On another topic, does anyone have a quick fix suggestion for a stiff gearchange? It struggles to return into second and first so is a bit difficult not to stall when approaching junctions etc.
Thanks everyone.

S0updragon

First gear, as I’ve asked about it, is basically for getting going and going up hills. Mine will drop out of first pretty quickly on the flat after launch and it’s never really gone from 2nd to 1st unless nearly stationary so I don’t bother with 1st when driving unless at a standstill etc.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
What is the air filter like, does it look dirty? If in any doubt replace the element and turn the tick over up slightly and see how it goes.
Is it stiff selecting the gears or does it crunch as you try and change down? If it's just stiff then the linkage may need a slight adjustment

tylerbobbo

What is the air filter like, does it look dirty? If in any doubt replace the element and turn the tick over up slightly and see how it goes.
Is it stiff selecting the gears or does it crunch as you try and change down? If it's just stiff then the linkage may need a slight adjustment
It's just stiff and difficult to engage - no crunching. Looking at the gear shift mount within the cab, it looks like it has an inspection plate on the side which may double up as a greasepoint or something. I'll have to borrow a spanner (imperial) and have a look.
The air filter looks fine. I'll check the pipe for an obstruction or pinching.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The steering box is full of EP90 gearbox oil, there's level plug in the side ( I think it's plastic) for topping up. Don't take the allen screw with the lock nut out as that is the adjustment for the steering box. Have a look at the linkages underneath while an assistant operates the gear lever, the problem is more likely to be under there as things wear in the mechanism.