Van going great until I'm driving in towns thru traffic then is losing fuel cutting out?

Pat cabs

Rerouted fuel line onto fan cowling from pump to carb, running great until I'm in slow traffic, cutting out, having to restart, any ideas

S0updragon

Is the fuel filter in a place where it gets warm enough for fuel to evaporate. Vapour lock. Maybe easier to check if left running on drive after trip out and seeing if empty if it cuts out etc.

Pat cabs

I have stripped and cleaned the original pump and glady done away with the electric pump, van running great now, thanks for all the advice appreciated. The van now runs on the engine mounted pump, some difference, I was told it was knackered, but I gave it a try, it works

Pat cabs

Aye, big relief pal, electric pumps in my opinion don't compare, was told the engine pump was goosed, so I,m very happy, cheers.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent, glad it was a simple fix. Electrical pumps a usually fine, I run one on my Auto-Sleeper and it keeps up with the demands of the Rapier engine well. Sometimes it depends where you mount them as some are designed to push (mounted near the tank) and some a designed to pull ( mounted near the engine) but of course they wear eventually out just like any component.
Just be careful with the mechanical pump as the diaphragm can develop pin holes and petrol can find it's way into the sump, ask me how I know :(, and that's the reason I went to electric. But I still carry a mechanical one - just in case.

Pat cabs

Appreciate your advice, I bought a brand new electric pump but it was,nt pumping enough, that's when I looked at the one on the engine

Pat cabs

What electric pump do you recommend incase I get the same problem as you did with engine pump and what was the symptoms of your leaking diaphragm?

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I used a Facet low pressure cube type mounted on rubber bobbins near the tank. They do need a pressure regulator as they produce about 4 psi and you only need 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 psi, also a good idea to fit an inertia cut out switch in case of a collision. I only found out about the leaking diaphragm when I lost oil pressure because there was so much petrol in the sump and it stank of fuel (cue engine re-build). You can get re-build kits for the pumps so for peace of mind you may want to fit a new diaphragm.
I'll point out though that a diaphragm fail is not common but best to be on the safe side and sniff your dip stick regularly:)

Pat cabs

I have driven 15 miles on the pump, I checked and sniffed the oil and it looks and smells clean thus far panky, once again I appreciate your sage advice

tylerbobbo

New member here - I have recently bought the Wittering Surf Autosleeper and am having similar issues. The previous owner fitted an electric fuel pump and I let it run before firing up. However, full choke is required to allow starting and it cuts out under low revs so have to restart. Close the choke and the engine dies. I'm hoping it is just an adjustment required on the carb but any advice is welcome.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the Madhouse :)
Does the engine run OK when it on choke? If so it might just be a matter of turning the tick over up a little, what carb is fitted?

tylerbobbo

Hello Panky, Thanks! I see that I'm not alone in becoming a recent new owner.
It's a Weber as I understand it and it does run ok when on choke. Liam and Lisa whom owned it before me, said that they stalled it many times before getting used to driving it. However, it does appear to struggle unduly at low revs.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not familiar with Webbers but many people rate them highly, I would simple try turning the tick over up slightly and see if that does the trick.
Just a thought, I had a Vauxhall Viva many years ago and I got the same symptoms as you when the air filter got clogged. Try removing the filter for a test run and see what happens.