Toyota Hi-Lux Front Shocks Upgrade

Enigma

I thought I'd post this here instead of on my Tigger thread as a guide to anyone else wishing to do the same. Maybe someone can make it a 'sticky' ?

The shocks I got are 'Monroe' and the part number is 'D6432' I got mine from 'ebay' at a cost of £83.99

All you need to do is remove the road wheel and then undo the top nut. You can see in the pic the top of the spindle has 2 flat sides, you will need to use either an adjustable spanner of mulgrips to hold the spindle still while you undo the nut.

DSC01198_zps0581c103.jpg

Next remove the 2 nuts from the bottom...

17b72951-f313-4f9c-84cc-7fac4e234841_zps0a956b12.jpg

You can now withdraw the shock from inside the coil. Remove the lower mounting bracket from the shock.

DSC01197_zpsc6ec7986.jpg

Now, the old standard shocks pivot hole is 10mm and the new Munroe shocks pivot hole is 16mm. Not a problem, hold the old shock in a vice and use a 10mm socket to gently tap the old bushes out, these will then come away from the metal sleeve that runs through the middle.

DSC01194_zps94e15721.jpg

Gently hold the sleeve in a vice and gently file away all the gunk and bits of old rubber from it. This sleeve then fits perfectly snug into the new shock

DSC01195_zpsaf95c512.jpg

Now, the new shocks are about 4mm thicker than the old ones where the pivot eye is, so they won't fit in the lower pivot bracket. All I did was put the shock in a vice and using a disc cutter, I gently ground 2mm off each side (easy, even for me)

DSC01196_zps258fc7b6.jpg

Just grind a little at a time and keep trying the bracket to test. When it fits nice and snug, refit the bracket

DSC01197_zpsc6ec7986.jpg

Fit a cup washer and rubber bush to the spindle (theory come in the box)
Now feed the new shock up through the coil and refit and tighten the 2 nuts and spring washers. Fit the top rubber and cup washer and then again holding the spindle still tighten the top nut. As you tighten the top nut you will notice it get quite tight, this is because you are compressing the new rubber bushes. You can see in this last pic the length of spindle that should be exposed when fully tightened.

DSC01198_zps0581c103.jpg

It's a good idea to smear all bolts with a little 'copper ease' or grease as it will save you a lot of grief if you ever want to take the shocks off:)

It's that simple. Hope you find this of some help;)

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''
Member of The 6-Speed Club

Enigma

Thanks for the 'sticky':). You will have to wait for the trip report until tomorrow. Once again as I finished it was dark and raining.....again! .....At the moment I can only tell you how much Tim and Rich and Iceman rate this mod! .....You have been in Kermit, what did you think?;)

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''

commeracer

Well done Colin [^] told you it was easy ;)

4650583641_dba2503b41_o.jpg

"You,re only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"
Founder of the 6 speed club

Enigma

quote:
Originally posted by commeracer

Well done Colin [^] told you it was easy ;)

Yeah, and I bet you're pleased I won't have to ask you to make up some sleeves:D[8D]

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''

commeracer

Ahhh :D

And it's Monroe ;)

Enigma

Quite right...ooops! I can't edit a first post, perhaps you could ask Chris to do it for me;)

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''

jimberlake

Thanks for the thread - mine just arrived today, same price and model so hopefully sorted next month will give an update on the handling situation then...at the moment speed bumps feel like you're on a space hopper!

Hasta la supervista baby

Enigma

You will be impressed ;)

''COMMER'EnSayThat''
A Commerless Guinea pig of The 6-Speed Club (Highly recommended)

commeracer

"I was so impressed, i bought the company " :D

Enigma

Are you fitting them yourself? ...if so, any questions please just ask :)

''COMMER'EnSayThat''
A Commerless Guinea pig of The 6-Speed Club (Highly recommended)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I think even the standard ones are heavy duty compared with the Commer version:I

41fa30c8-22ce-43e8-bd12-188475a80292.jpg

Member of the Non-Facebook Club

Suinnyboy

Just looking into this for when I get to the front suspension later in the year and have a couple of questions.

Have downloaded the Monroe Catalogue (Australia), and cannot see anything with the part# D6432

What model Hi Lux are we looking at and is it the 2wd or 4wd version

I think a lot of this was discussed prior to this thread was created in various other threads