rusty awning poles

BC Sunshine

I'm getting an awning sorted for Evangeline.

The camper came to me with 6 telescoping awning poles, 4 of which had quite a bit of surface rust on the smaller, inside telescoping poles, and no doubt on the inside of the larger diameter sections.

I've sanded off what I can from the outside of the telescoping portions, but any suggestions for getting at the INSIDE of the larger poles? They're almost 4'' tall and otherwise in good condition.

My plan is to spray paint them all with enamel, but I fear the first time I slide a freshly painted tube back in, the rust inside the bigger tube will scrape it off.

Outer pole diameter is 5/8" I think. (19mm)

Some kind of wire brush on a string with a bolt to feed it through? :confused:

Last edited:
It would be a bit smelly but try blocking one end with a cork, or something, then fill the tube with vinegar and leave it for a couple of days. It's a well known process so should work. Another option is acetic acid, you can buy it by the bag full and is perfectly safe (food additive) and works well with warm water. Another thing I've tried is molasses and water, it takes a while to work but gets there in the end.

Great idea!! I have lots of wine corks.... erm...

Sounds like a lot less work and I have access to both vinegar and acetic acid. Thanks!

Any recommendations for treating the insides once they're clean to keep the rust at bay?

One of those rust coverters that also seals like hammerite krust. 2 corks put a load in and rock and roll. Krust can't be rebottled so may pay to get a few derusting jobs together to use as much of the surplus up. Or maybe if you have a dremel that has the thick polishing clothes. Cork, cloth on wire at the bottom, tip in gung, draw up slowly like an upside down coffee thing???

Great idea!! I have lots of wine corks.... erm...

Sounds like a lot less work and I have access to both vinegar and acetic acid. Thanks!

Any recommendations for treating the insides once they're clean to keep the rust at bay?
Use the Vinegar, but don't forget to save a bit for your chips. ;)

Back