Overdive gearbox i.d.

eightcans

My yearly post... I bought this gearbox quite a while ago for our Roadranger and am wondering if the i.d markings should make it be compatible with the std 1725 engine?? My stepsons chum has his own gearbox reconditioning company so before sending it off I just want to be as confident as possible it will fit. Many thanks, Guy.

Attachments

• DSC_1329.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC_1327.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1328.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 13

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Is it that time of year again already ;)
We could do with a picture of the whole gearbox to see if it off an Arrows car or an earlier model. Arrows needs modifications whereas the earlier ones can be bolted straight on.

eightcans

Is it that time of year again already ;)
We could do with a picture of the whole gearbox to see if it off an Arrows car or an earlier model. Arrows needs modifications whereas the earlier ones can be bolted straight on.
Here be some pics. Have noticed that 2 of the splines are flattened, would these be for lining up purposes?? Thanks loads.

Attachments

• DSC_1330.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1331.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_1332.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC_1333.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 13

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Not for lining up unfortunately, the tail shaft is toast :( that's had quite a knock to break the splines and, it may be just the angle of the picture, the shaft looks bent as it sits to one side of the seal lip. If it's not bent then you might get away with it but it's a risk.
It is an Arrows series box so not a straight swap, the bell housing/input shaft is longer than the Commer one and the casing is canted over for the Hunter type engine installation. It can be fitted to the Commer engine by fitting the Commer internals onto the O/D mainshaft so the shorter Commer input shaft and bell housing are used, the Commer layshaft must also be fitted.
You can't mix and match the gears as the Commer and O/D have different gear ratios.

eightcans

Not for lining up unfortunately, the tail shaft is toast :( that's had quite a knock to break the splines and, it may be just the angle of the picture, the shaft looks bent as it sits to one side of the seal lip. If it's not bent then you might get away with it but it's a risk.
It is an Arrows series box so not a straight swap, the bell housing/input shaft is longer than the Commer one and the casing is canted over for the Hunter type engine installation. It can be fitted to the Commer engine by fitting the Commer internals onto the O/D mainshaft so the shorter Commer input shaft and bell housing are used, the Commer layshaft must also be fitted.
You can't mix and match the gears as the Commer and O/D have different gear ratios.
Thank you. So as I read it between the std gearbox currently fitted and the Arrows one in the pictures a gearbox with o/d could be built that's suitable for mating up to the current engine. I will have a read through the various threads over the weekend about said subject..!!

On a slightly different note attached are some pictures our Commers new home and I'm over the moon with it. Been a looong time coming but all good things and all that..!!

Attachments

• DSC_1358.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1359.JPG
    8.3 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1360.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 12