My Suntor

Commer blue

Hello Everyone, I am quite new to here and have just collected my 1974 Commer Suntor. She is beautiful (to me anyway) and I am so excited but she needs lots of bits and bobs doing! The brakes are shocking despite being checked over and the engine runs sooooo hot- both common issues as far as I can make out. The bodywork needs some work and paint but apart from that she is very original and her chassis is great.
I would be hugely grateful for any advice in the coming months to save me making too many expensive mistakes! Thank you, Fi

Attachments

• DB3107CE-F8EF-4171-9731-330852C994AB.jpeg
    DB3107CE-F8EF-4171-9731-330852C994AB.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Fi and welcome to the Madhouse :)
I recognise your van straight away, a regular at our past meets and the Rootes rally at Moffat, very much admired.
The issues you mention are very common, a good cooling system flush could sort the hot running problem. The brakes do need a good old shove for them to work as they are not normally servo assisted so you are relying on the power of you right boot to stop you, if new brake shoes have been fitted I find they take a few miles to bed in properly so hopefully it's something as simple as that.
Good luck with your van and please keep us posted on how you get on, any advise or help you need just shout and we'll do what we can.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Between us we have probably been through all the problems you are likely to come across so don't worry about asking about anything, I'm sure we can help.

Commer blue

I will take some pictures today before I go home. She is in Scotland with a mechanic friend getting checked over and I am heading back to Hertfordshire later leaving her here for a couple of weeks. My biggest problem is the brakes just now as she just doesn’t brake well enough for my liking even though we have had the brakes apart and cleaned out. He is looking to fit a servo and new master cylinder next week in the hope this will make her a bit safer for me. I notice that there used to be a servo kit available to buy online but can’t see it anymore. Has anyone got any tips for a decent servo set up or used one from a donor car or any other suggestions. He has worked on cars/vans/bikes for years but never on anything like this and I would rather save money and get it right first time.
Thank you all

jimberlake

Hi there. Martin Malta’s does/did a servo kit and it fits nicely under the front Vallance. it doesn’t make it stop better but helps you press the pedal so does make you feel more confident while braking.

Commer blue

Thank you I will have a look. Hopefully that and new brake cylinders will do the trick.
Ps I have long admired the colour of your van Jimberlake. It’s beautiful.

PaulJL

I fitted a generic remote servo kit to mine. Not tested it yet. They arent overly expensive but do need to be fitted at a particular angle.

Commer blue

I had a picture of your van on my phone screen for weeks when I was looking for one to buy- sorry if that sounds weird!
Yes I have already decided on that for a lower half colour. Just have about a million hours of welding and rust cutting out to do and I will be there .... I am hoping to get a friend to teach me as I go along so I can be part of it rather than just watch. Can’t wait.

Last edited:

jimberlake

Haha - not weird I feel chuffed and I do the same :). Well done, I keep meaning to learn to weld better than I can. Steve Williams has a rally support van in the same colour too, I bought my van 8 years ago off him and copied the colour

Commer blue

Servo kit and new Wilwood master cylinder ordered and going in next week so hopefully I can drive her. Thanks all. Cooling System will also be flushed through and maybe a new radiator. I have a feeling this is where all my money will be going for the next few months/years I have taken a few pics of the interior which is all very original. I even have all the original manuals and the original telly and cool box. I just need to find out what works and slowly make everything nice while keeping it as original as possible. The roof is so weird-has a built in storage/roof rack box thing. Surely a rust disaster waiting to happen....

Commer blue

I am looking to smarten up the van area with some new matting and maybe insulate the floor a bit for noise. Has anyone got any good tips I can pass on to the friend who is helping me? I assume I will need to template and cut matting from elsewhere as haven’t seen any?
Thanks again for any help with my dumb newby questions !