My New Baby!!!

nickclubman

The Commer, I bought from ebay, unseen arrived today...many thanks to Thowman, for a speedy delivery. I must say I was very nervous, very nervous about spending a substantial amount of money, on something I hadn't seen......I am really pleased tho!!!
The brakes are a bit sticky, specially when reversing, and it took some getting off the trailer.
Initial observations are that she appears to be quite original, and not too messed around with...which is nice. The fluted panels have been replaced with sheet metal and filled, which will be sorted of course. The engine is a 1725cc with twin carbs, the previous owner says that she is a high compression engine, can't confirm this at present, but she runs and the gears work, there is also a recent Kenlowe fan conversion in place. There are a spanking set of new tyres in place, the underside appears to be solid.
The interior appears to be all there also, apart from a table leg!!!!
The biggest mod I can see is a big old amp, subwoofer and six more speakers. There is also a lovely spaghetti of wires that I need to suss out.
The brake pedal was solid, I guessed at a seized master cylinder, the push rod added to my suspicions here, but on removing the brake pipe the pedal moved freely. I have jacked the front wheels up, (must find a larger jack!!!) and the front wheels turn very reluctantly forward, but not at all backwards. I will have a looky see tommorrow. She has been sat for a long while, so we will see.

commeracer

Congrats Nick :) sounds like you will have it up and sorted in no time [8D]

4650583641_dba2503b41_o.jpg

"You,re only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off"

commerchris

Staff member
well done,don't forget the handbrake opperates on the front wheels ?

Commer Dandy by Dandy Caravans
The Colonel Mustard

Congrats Nick :) PIX PLEASE. That was a brave thing to do.
Those brake issues sound all to familiar. I would guess at seized wheel cylinders. (common as) With luck a good clean up and some new seals and should be good as new. Also check to see if the handbrake cable moves freely in its outer sheath. There is one for each front wheel and the one to the handbrake lever. Mine were totaly seized and needed a couple of cans of spray degreaser fed down them before new lube could go in. The handbrake now works great and only needs one finger to use! Also double check all the flexi hoses and old brake pipes. If they are original they are well past it for safety. Commers only have a single circuit system so anything fails and thats it no brakes!!! I replaced them all (after a near death experience) and added a booster to make things easier on the right foot! It is also important to make sure all the pivot points in the system such as the grooves the ends of the shoes slide in are well greased with brake grease so the shoes can pull off correctly rather than grabbing (usually in reverse). When correctly adjusted drum brakes will always have some small amount of friction against a free turning wheel. If its hard to turn by hand (but possible) try driving at a little and that should settle it down. If the brakes are snatching and locking up the shoes could be on back to front. There is a leading and a trailing one on each side.
Commer brakes set up just right are actually quite good. They just dont stay set up well for very long!
PIX PIX PIX PIX PIX PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now with a bundle of joy - and a commer!

thowman

Hi nick. Nice to meet you yesterday. I think you got a nice van. Hope you get it sorted soon. You'll know if it is a high compression engine as the HC engine will have an alloy head and rocker cover.

Remember to stop in at the meet in Abergavenny on the way back from Newquay!

Cheers

Andy

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Nice one Nick, a tidy looking van[8D] If the lack of flutes has been done properly then it looks like you've got a bargain[^]. Is that a night heater in the cupboard:p my missus will be well jealous - it gets a bit nippy at night sometines - until I eventually come to bed at about 4am that is:I
Cool roofrack too:)

th_DCP_9918.jpg

Summer's Coming.....
Trust me

nickclubman

A couple of pics.....my pc is a bit old and they are taking ages to upload. My plans to play with brakes were thwarted by the weather today and so had an electrics day. There is a fair bit of spaghetti going on with the electrics, and it will take a while to get my head round them. There are two batteries both with chargers on them, that charge whilst hooked up to the mains, well the "engine" battery does, the leisure one wasn't charging and was dead. I connected up the leisure battery to another charger, and re-wired the fridge which now works, as does the funny red heater, all interior lights work, and I have checked the wiring for the 240V sockets. This will just need a tidy up.
The horn now works, as do the wipers and washer, as well as the rev counter. A switch has been wired in for some reason, to the switched live supply, so that anything on the switched live cicuit won't work unless the switch is on, including the rev counter? There are a lot of square plastic connectors with the screws in, these will be replaced with bullet connectors when I buy some more, there are also several metres of unnecessary wire, and 3 lots of tubing going to the washers. So the side lights work, as do the dipped and main beam ( though the panel light for main beam has blown) The indicators work as do the hazards, but again the panel light is temperamental. The fan works,as do the brake lights. There is a stereo, cd player not working, six speakers, big amp and subwoofer, and a lot of wires for this, This again will all be tidied up. After blowing a fuse I found the 2 fuse fuse "box"
The van/bus/commer? interior is all good, though the wood is a little dark, there are carpet tiles there, which have been laid on top of the linoleum, whic we feel would be more practical for our needs, so these will be taken up. We will need new curtains, and cushion covers.
The rain today highlighted a need for new seals, especially on the windscreen.

The bodywork, needs a tidy, and the fluted panels will eventually be re-instated, the peak looks suprisingly solid, as do all the doors, apart from the missing flutes, the drivers door hinges sag a touch, but this appears to be down to the hinge pin rather than rotten pillers, ( I own minis so am familiar with this lol)

The paint work, is patchy, but is liveable, I might touch up the top half, and as previously mentioned, the underneath looks suprisingly good, and there are 4 new tyres in place, which I might have already mentioned.

SO!!!! weather permitting, I will have a look at the brakes, in the evnenings, and take it for an MOT, so we can see what needs doing.
And Breathe!!!!
SO!!!! if the weather hold up

Dodgemark

does not look a bad van at all mate[^] even without the flutes looks like someone has made a tide job with the sheet metal;) well done mate:)

Dodge Glendale

greg

Congratulations on the purchase, Nick, looking good[8D]
Thinking you'll sleep better now;)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
In all my time of owning cars I've never had a main beam panel light blow:I All the rest yes:)

th_DCP_9918.jpg

Summer's Coming.....
Trust me

nickclubman

I might have helped it blow....erm...when I mean blow...I might have meant..."I broke it with the long nosed pliers whilst trying to get it out the holder." :)

CommerJon

Hi Nick,
Glad you have found the right van for you both - it looks to be quite a clean example! Bring her by for a cup of tea when your up and running so we can have a nose ;)

Jon&Cara-Gramarye Fontaine

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
But don't listen to the advise about fitting a 2.0 litre Pinto;)

th_DCP_9918.jpg

Summer's Coming.....
Trust me

Hello and congrats on your purchase of a very nice van, on the subject of the sticky front brakes someone suggested cleaning and resealing the front cylinders but to be quite honest they are pretty cheap to buy new from Mr Maltas i really wouldnt mess about taking them apart especially like someone else said, the commer is a single circuit system so for safety replace where poss! enjoy the van tho:D;):p

Dont try and lead me astray....i know the way myself!!

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by nickclubman

The bodywork, needs a tidy, and the fluted panels will eventually be re-instated, the peak looks suprisingly solid, as do all the doors, apart from the missing flutes, the drivers door hinges sag a touch, but this appears to be down to the hinge pin rather than rotten pillers, ( I own minis so am familiar with this lol)

If i were you i wouldnt bother putting them flutes back as to me looks alot of filler in all the fluted areas. You will make your self masses of work trust me ive been there. Just get it mot able and have some fun using it. Also to put all the flutes back and paint the van after, you will spend at least the same money as you spent buying the van. I dont know what personal skills you have but even you doing most the work will cost you a fair amount as you tend to find when you start grinding away in the fluted areas most the van disapeares.
Good luck with your new baby hope to see it at a meet soon;)[8D][8D]

th_IMG00232-20100618-1221.jpg

th_icon_welder.gif

A commer with boost will be appering on a screen near you soon!

bazzateer

^^^^ I'd agree, wait until they need doing again then put the flutes back. In the meantime - enjoy!

BazRockscropped.jpg

Peggy can do 78mph!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?