My First Commer camp

Ken-n-Trish

My first camp with my new Commer - Veteran M/C weekend July 2020 , easily fitted my 1912 Excelsior in the back . Drive up to Norfolk , about 200miles return , which is about the same as I did on my Excelsior over the two days . I'm used to travelling fairly slow , good thing about driving / riding slow is there's almost no traffic jams in front , always behind you !! Van went quite well driving between 45 and 55 , think I hit 60 at one point and am very happy with it , very comfortable drive with the very soft suspension and nice and roomy ! easily fit three accross the front ! Comfy bed and although have always tented it for the last 60 years , I must admit it's a lot easier to pack up to go home !! I have to do something with the starter as ok when hot but takes aaages when cold even with easy start , think it's a lazy starter and will have to remove for an operation !!
I have booked in to The Cuckoo Fair with couple of friends and their campers which is May 29-30-31st , just hope it will be able to go ahead . Hope you all enjoy this year and can get out an about and stay safe etc ! Ken

Attachments

• b (7).jpg
    b (7).jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 40
  • b (9) - Copy.jpg
    b (9) - Copy.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 35

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
That's brilliant and welcome to the Madhouse, I'm loving the bike :) It sounds like you have a well sorted van which is great, so you can just enjoy:cool:
I had a slow cranking issue and it turned out to be a loose battery cable connection, on another occasion a similar issue was traced to the solenoid being loose. Try checking all the connections (especially battery earth) before you pull the starter - it might be a simple fix. Good luck.

Ken-n-Trish

Thanks , First thing I did , also checked for shorts as battery seemed to go down quick . So bought another battery but same thing ! Have to give good look over when the weather gets a little warmer as have to leave outside (covered) unfortunately ! Keeping batteries charged in garage !

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
May be air in the system or a stuck master cylinder. Does the pedal go to the floor?

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
It does sound like air has got in somehow, check the rubber elbows on the pipe down from the brake reservoir to the master cylinder. These can perish and leak giving a low level and possibly air in leaks.
Start a new thread so we're not hi-jacking Ken-n-Trish's thread any more

Ken-n-Trish

Presume you have checked the brake fluid and connections ? how old is the fluid , maybe it's gone past its sell by date . Can you see in the resevoir if there is any movement of fluid when pedal pushed !? maybe plunger rubber needs renewing ? Good luck .

Pat cabs

Fitter reckons it could be a re adjustment issue on the shoes!! I will find out next month or so, thanks for all you lads advice.