modified cylinder heads

commeracer

just putting the feelers out to see if anyone is interested in having their cylinder head ported [?]
for those that do not understand, this means cleaning up and reshaping the inlet/exhaust ports to flow better and reshaping the combustion chambers for better efficiency. the results are better economy,more torque,more bhp and a crisper running engine.
all for a flat cost of £120, about half what you would normally pay :)
any takers [?]

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody SLIDING doors off no.3"

commeracer

this applies to iron or ali heads, so dont be scared panky :D

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Lets see what your manifold and 1 3/4" SU coupled with the twin downpipes and RC40(s) produces - then the head. Well I want to assess the development in stages:)
Do you know if the valves and inserts on the ally head are hardened? and suitable for unleaded, without additive.

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

easiest way to tell if valves/seats are any good is with a magnet.
quality steels tend to be austenitic which is non-magnetic and work hardens. some exhaust valves have a en52 head friction welded to a magnetic stem, which is ok. if its all non-magnetic then its good quality, if its all magnetic its cheap poor quality :) its really only the exhaust side that needs sorting for unleaded.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'll use additive just in case :) Until you find out when you mod it ;)

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

i have just tried a holbay head and both seats are magnetic [xx(][V] so looks like yes to additive.
i also need to know what exhaust manifold you will be using panky, a pic would be useful, so i can organize clearances :)

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
This will be the one, slightly modified (by Mr P Fordy) to clear the PB Engine bay

[/IMG]

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

cheers :) thats helpful. i may also need some measurments or some sort of template as well. last thing i want to do is make an inlet that wont fit with the exhaust [:0]

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Have you got a manifold you can modify or would it be possible/simpler to modify my twin Stromberg one. I can always send you mine as an exchange if it is suitable. My email is john_pankhurst8 at yahoo.com if you could give me an idea of £££s :I

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

same price as woolfys doors..........£10 000 000 + vat:D

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure we could come to some arrangement on the VAT - after all it has been reduced ;)

To -10000%

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

sure is, my profit margin this year is nearly down to the level of sir Alan Sugars [:0][:0]

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting a bit excited :p It's things like this that spur me on, this mod may have been done before on a Rootes model, but on a Rapier engine in a PB - and to Tims standard - I don't think so [8D]

'Harvey the RV'

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Kaaalm down - kaaalm down, I've not been this excited since I got my first shellsuit :)

'Harvey the RV'

commeracer

cheers panky, its a great help....................i needed some hardcore :D;)