Led indicators

jimberlake

I’ve got the led flasher relays. Only difference is they work on lower current. Filament relays flash too quickly or solid on. Motorcycle led indicators used to come with a resistance ballast to splice in to sort out flashing. You had to be careful where you put them as they got very hot. It’s the blooming dashboard lamp that’s the issue lol as that’s wired weirdly.
Ah I see.

Yer read that too Colin when I was looking at doing it, I left it in the end and just did all the bulbs in the clocks (which is amazing as can see them at night now). I'm sure this is just legislation waiting to catch up with reality. If anything happened insurance wise I'm sure it would need to be proved that it was the change to LEDs that caused it. Sure I read it's something to do with light patterns on lenses or the reflector plates? I never know what to believe.

S0updragon

I remember reading up on it ages ago as my bike had a terrible 30w headlight. Led bulbs are different shape so light spread from lamp is completely different from a round filament bulb and as reflector and lens are designed to focus beam emitted from filament it goes all over the place. Lumens or candela (whatever it’s measured in nowadays) can be much higher too. Same problem sticking a hid bulb in. I at least try to use ce marked lamps.

S0updragon

Found an electrician and electricity doesn’t work like I hoped it would. Going to try diodes and original feeds to ground via d/board bulb. Indicator grounds are done.

Paul_W

The bulb on the dash is connected to both indicator circuits. It gets power from the active indicators and earth through the non active.
1. The LED bulbs will have a current limiting resistor (LEDs run at about 2V) and it this resistor that is causing your dash bulb to be dim.
2. You cannot change your dash bulb to LED. LED's only light up when the power applied is the correct way round so it will only light up when you turn left (or right) and will not light up when turning the other way.
You could buy a couple of small white LEDS solder them together short leg to long leg and add a 1K resistor in series, connect that to your wiring and poke it in the green lamp holder.

S0updragon

Finally got the diodes and if anyone’s stuck as well this seems to work. Replacement new wiring goes into the connectors that the original dashboard wires went into. Symbol for led d/board lamp is incorrect in case there’s any confusion as filament bulb won’t work. 91706CF5-B0BD-4D1A-A886-2CDCE703A94E.jpeg

S0updragon

How are you getting on, SD? Did you sort it? I'm re-wiring our Tilly during her re-build and going to LED her, and funnily enough one of my biggest obstacles is the simple Flasher set up the Commer's use.
When you indicate left or right it puts power to the relay, which in turn sets power to the lamp on the dash. So, if you start playing with the wiring, when you send power to one indicator, it passes through the dash lamp and to the other indicator.
Be interested to know if you found a simple work around, which keeps the dash lamp working?
These are what I used as already had a led dashboard lamp