Late Dodge Oil pipe

Neil T

Hello everyone I’ve managed to find time today and removed the rocker shafts. my question is, when I lifted the front rocker shaft from the head the oil Feed pipe was loose and came out with the rear shaft !, is this correct I thought the oil pipe was fixed lower in the crank case ?. Thanks neil. 08393E6F-0827-4519-A49C-2E57675C4E8D.jpeg

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
There should be a brass nut on the pipe, it's a mini compression fitting that screws onto a thread behind the valve chest cover. The pipe must have pulled through the nut somehow

Neil T

There should be a brass nut on the pipe, it's a mini compression fitting that screws onto a thread behind the valve chest cover. The pipe must have pulled through the nut somehow
I best have a look is it easy to get to to reconnect it ?

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The nut isn't supposed to come off as it compresses the little olive on the pipe into the fitting. Actually that pipe you've pictured doesn't look like an original one, it's supposed to have a brass nut on either end and screws into a separate brass T piece that sits between the rocker shafts. Have you got a picture of the end that goes to the rocker shaft.

Neil T

The nut isn't supposed to come off as it compresses the little olive on the pipe into the fitting. Actually that pipe you've pictured doesn't look like an original one, it's supposed to have a brass nut on either end and screws into a separate brass T piece that sits between the rocker shafts. Have you got a picture of the end that goes to the rocker shaft.
I take another picture and I’ll take the valve chest cover off if that’s where it joins and see what’s there ??

Neil T

Hello everyone, re-rocker shaft oil feed pipe. I’ve removed the valve chest cover today “see pic” and there’s no fitting for the oil pipe no thread in the hole ether, but there’s a taper at the top of the hole so I put a rocker shaft back on with the oil feed pipe and the little top collar on the pipe is flush with the top of the hole so I’m wondering if there should be a seal or O ring between the two collars on the pipe ? could there be a different type of oil feed pipe ??. Thanks for any help neil. 95CBACE6-4F56-401D-8FF2-D58D57A7A18E.jpeg

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to say but that's completely wrong I'm afraid, it will not create a good seal and the oil won't flow to the rocker shafts. There should be a screwed fitting with a pipe with a loop in it connected to a brass T piece between the rocker shafts. If you assemble it as it is there will be no oil feed to the rocker shafts and they will wear out very quickly.
You can see what the feed pipe should look like in this pick and there should be a similar fitting on the other end

UtNxi7a.jpg

You can see the brass T piece between the rocker shafts in this pic

DJOkKa6.jpg

And a pic of the other end, a bit grotty but it's the best one I've got

IDgwPti.jpg

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there should be a brass fitting screwed into the block for the pipe to attach to. You may be lucky and the thread in the block just needs a tap running through but if its stripped then it will need to be drilled out and bushed for it to be re-drilled and tapped back to the original size. As you might guess it's probably an engineering shop job - unless you have the facilities yourself. You also need to be careful to remove any swarf from the drilling and tapping.

Neil T

Hello everyone, I’ve been digging deep to find out about my rocker shaft oil feed pipe So it now appears post 1979 engines “with exceptions” we’re changed to a steel one piece oil feed pipe and o ring !!. Don’t hold me to the part numbers… pipe 21295100 , o ring 25550700 , I hope this info helps someone in the future I found it trawling through the car forums. neil.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Great bit of research, I had no idea there were any differences. Could you post a pic of the new pipe when it arrives please and I'll stickie this thread for future reference.