How to connect battery on 61 commer

Tintop

I was told to do positive to negative and negative to positive when connecting the battery, is that how it should be done? Really appreciate your help , ,

That advise is very confusing. The way to connect it depends if your van is positive earth or negative earth, I think early vans were positive earth but it may well have been converted at some point. Does the van have a dynamo or alternator? and are there any electrical accessories fitted like a radio? Is there a sticker or sign anywhere that says if it is positive or negative.

Thank u for ur reply ,I was told its positive negative , which to me means u connect the positive + wire to the _ earth on the battery , I couldn't tell you if its alternater or dynamo , and no it has no radio fitted , I am 70% sure its positive wire to the _ earth on battery

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense if you connect the battery positive terminal direct to the negative terminal you will get lots of sparks and melted wires, maybe you misunderstood what the guy was saying. What I think who ever told you means is the van is positive earth which means the positive lead from the battery should be connected to the vehicle body and the negative side of the battery connected to the starter solenoid.
If your van is fitted with a dynamo it is a very simple job to swap from positive to negative earth, which is the normal way for most vans, and would allow you to add accessories without having to search for old positive earth equipment. It would be useful if you could post a pic of the dynamo/alternator to give us more of an idea of what you have.
Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, I don't mean to be, but if you get the connections wrong it could end up with a lot of smoke and melted wiring:eek:

Thank u for ur reply ,I was told its positive negative , which to me means u connect the positive + wire to the _ earth on the battery , I couldn't tell you if its alternater or dynamo , and no it has no radio fitted , I am 70% sure its positive wire to the _ earth on battery

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense if you connect the battery positive terminal direct to the negative terminal you will get lots of sparks and melted wires, maybe you misunderstood what the guy was saying. What I think who ever told you means is the van is positive earth which means the positive lead from the battery should be connected to the vehicle body and the negative side of the battery connected to the starter solenoid.
If your van is fitted with a dynamo it is a very simple job to swap from positive to negative earth, which is the normal way for most vans, and would allow you to add accessories without having to search for old positive earth equipment. It would be useful if you could post a pic of the dynamo/alternator to give us more of an idea of what you have.
Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, I don't mean to be, but if you get the connections wrong it could end up with a lot of smoke and melted wiring:eek:
Thanks Panky, I confuse myself ,so not surprised what I said makes no sense , yes ur right I was told its positive earth , so does that mean I connect the positive earth wire that is attached to the bodywork , do I connect it to the + sign on the battery ? In other words connect the wires to

Thanks panky, not surprised it doesn't make any sense, sure I confuse myself most the time. Yes u are right what he said is it is positive earth, , does that mean I connect the positive earth wire that is connected to the van bodywork to the plus sign( +)on the battery ?sorry I am making this very complicated . I will try and put some photos up tommorow as the van is not at my place at the moment . Could I ask u a completely is there a timing belt on the 1500 petrol engine , and if there is if it was to snap would it damage the engine ,same ? for the fan belt if it snaps , thanks again for the help it's really appreciated

Yes you've got it for positive earth connect the positive terminal on the battery to the wire attached to the bodywork. If it's been disconnected for a while be careful and if you see any sparks from either lead as you connect them then don't continue.
There's no timing belt on the engine it's a good old fashioned chain and unlikely to break, if it's getting worn you will hear it rattling.
If the fan belt snaps then you will soon overheat as this belt drives the water pump (the fan is attached to the pump). The belt also drives the dynamo or alternator so no power will be generated. If you suspect the belt is very old or worn then it's a good idea to change it.

Back