Hello from Western Canada!

Thing

I'm proud to say that I am a new owner of a Commer PB. I was fortunate enough to purchase one recently this past weekend. Not too many on this side of the pond...especially western Canada.

I appologize in advance but I'm sure I will have a ton of questions in the coming weeks :)

The van is exatcly like the one pictured below but is in need of restoration, it has been sitting for years and I'm going to do my best to bring it back to life. I will post some pics in the coming days when it arrives. The first question I have is regarding different campers that were availible. VW had westys, dormobiles, campobiles, many others. I'm assumimg, much like VW, there were companies that would take a Commer and install their camping package....roof, interior etc.

What are the different camper versons called? commer.jpg

Last edited:

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Thing and welcome to the Madhouse :)
That particular conversion is the CI Wanderer, CI being Caravans International and is one of the more popular conversions. There are many others such as Auto-Sleeper, Car Camper,Martin Walter Coaster, Suntor which are all panel van conversions.
There are also loads of coach built Commers such as the Highwayman (called the Sunbeam Funwagon in America), Jennings Roadranger, Tourstar, Motorhome. The Commer was an extremely popular base for camper conversions in the sixties and seventies so there are many more conversions out there.
Enjoy your van when it arrives and plenty of pics please:)

S0updragon

Hi and welcome. The folks in here have a wealth of knowledge and even answers my stupid questions lol. Some parts are rarer than rocking horse poo and with a bit of luck you won’t need them. And yes a Commer is better than a Vw :D

BC Sunshine

Hello and welcome from some else in Western Canada!
I have a left hand drive Commer Highwayman, originally from Ontario.
You’ll find endless information and wisdom here.

Welcome Thing.
We have owned Pootle (a "Tourstar" I think) for almost a year now and you will find lots of help on this site when you get stuck!
I am just finishing up an engine replacement on our bus and it has been an 'experience' taking a rusty old Alpine engine from the edge of death to a smoothly running machine. I'm about ready to do some local drives to settle the engine and then do a bit of rewiring ready to do a few small camps. Next stage is rebuild an old overdrive gearbox that I bought on ebay - having now spent many hours under Pootle fitting a gearbox should be easy... What could possibly go wrong?
Do have a look at my posts about my efforts - hopefully it won't put you off your rebuild!
Good luck.
Tony.

S0updragon

Oooh that may take a couple of weeks to to get it back into shape. Seems like you have a great garage for it :)

Thing

Its very dirty and needs to be cleaned up but its not that bad :) Its fairly complete which is good. Its unfortunate the metal roof was bent while it was being hauled (before I bought it) Should be able to straighten it out.....I don't even imagine it would be that difficult to make a new one.

Its not too rusty, so I'm going to concentrate on getting it running, driving, stopping etc.....and obviuosly clean it up. Just go one step at a time.

They are 12 volt I'm assuming? what is the bolt pattern for the wheels?

S0updragon

Ah that’s good. Yes pity about the roof and good that it’s nearly complete. Yes I imagine they are all 12v. I would have to check workshop manual for stud pattern but I’m sure someone will know that off the top of their head. There is a workshop manual that’s been uploaded on here. I have a Pb manual that i can photo pages for you if needed ie wiring diagram etc

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Great project. Yes 12v and this from the mechanical section on the homepage

Commer stud pattern
stud pattern is 127mm pcd (5"),same as rover p5, sd1, pre 89 jeep cherokee [commeracer]
also 5 stud ford p100 pick up .. & some new transits

Gladys Crew

Nice project, will keep you busy for a few weeks,
I have plenty of pictures of when I did Gladys's roof if you need them.

Good luck

PaulJL

Welcome to the nut house. I lived near Medicine Hat in Alberta for a while. Lovely part of the world.

Thing

Got it running!! After 20 + yrs. She purrs like a kitten.

who would I contact for wheel cylinders? Shoes? Clutch disc/pressure plate?

Obviously in Canada would be ideal but stateside is probably a better option than over seas suppliers.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent well done. These wins keep a project moving and it's nice to know that once the brakes etc are done you can actually drive it :cool:
Can't help with North American suppliers but Martin Maltas is happy to offer international delivery.