Full beam issue

Richie2012

Hello,

Hope this is the right section for posting.

But I’m having problems with my full beam well locating it.

I have 1980 dodge spacevan

So van failed mot last week for unable to distinguish full beam.

On my lights switch I have side lights on first then side lights and sealed beam on

When I pull the indicator stalk to me I can flash but that’s the only time I have full beam

I can’t get the full beam on permanent

I don’t have a push pedal next to clutch

Am I missing something simple?

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Richie and welcome to the Madhouse :)
I'm not too familiar with the Spacevan set up but I would imagine that the high beam would come on by pushing the stalk forward, seems logical if you pull it back for flash.

Richie2012

Hello thank you for your warm welcome

I think I was getting myself into a pickle trying to get the van squared away before I head away on Friday for four months (merchant navy not prison) And trying to get the flat also sorted.

So I ended up getting one of my neighbours out to look at the lights while I did the stalk and there was a difference very slight but a difference so I’ll leave it as that.

The van is booked in for its re-test on Monday, so hopefully I’ll hear good news it’s all passed.

It also failed on rear brakes unbalanced so have new shoes and cyclinders, so a bit of luck we’ll have another years ticket on the van

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Before you get to the MOT place take it somewhere you can give the brakes a good work out, it's very common for the brakes to get a bit sticky if the van hasn't been used for a while. Check the connections on the lights and make sure they are clean and tight, that make a bit of difference but the sealed beam units are a bit rubbish. I've fitted halogen fittings classic Mini ones and they go straight on as the plugs at the back are the same.
Good luck with the retest :)

S0updragon

Good luck with mot. Yes, my brakes need a bit of a run to get them balanced better as only engine braking and gentle breaking means the can go a bit squiffy.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Try and have them test the brakes in the yard with a guage, it will likely never pass on the ramps (at least that is what I was told by my classic friendly centre)

colinthefox

When I was getting mine MOTed it always passed the brake test on the rollers. If it doesn't pass, there's something wrong with the brakes. It's always good to have the computer printout of the roller brake test to check on balance etc.

jimberlake

Just put mine on a rollers this week, not for an MOT but piece of mind and it passed MOT standard. I think the brakes are the best working bit on a Commer